1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Live effects - Darkglass Microtubes B7K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by buckalori, Aug 8, 2013.

1. buckalori

buckalori

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg
    I am off to America with my band (The Safety Fire) and as we will be flying I will need to cut down on gear. I usually use a Darkglass B7K through my Ampeg SVT-3 pro, but this simply won't be possible (have you ever felt how heavy these babies are?! wow...). I was wondering whether or not anyone had much experience just going direct through a pedal. I am a bit of a technophobe, and tend to let the other guys help me out with these things...but I would like to actually know what I am doing.

Thanks for the help guys!

Lori
  2. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

So it's become more and more common now for people to abandon amp heads in favour of keeping their setup more concise with just a bass and a pedalboard. While i'm still doing local gigs predominantly I wouldn't be convinced to dispense with my head but i've seen many bands recently just plug in and play with a preamp pedal and the B7K is (in my opinion) the best on the market.

I would also consider what size venues you're playing at. At relatively small ones and low budget the difference between an all tube head and a a preamp pedal would be almost unnoticeable due to the quality of the P.A system. At larger ones the differences may be a bit more noticeable.

I say just use the B3K!
  3. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

4. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

I got a B7K specifically to be able to play headless, but I like it so much it is now always on in front of my amp. I think you will be ok, as long as there is either a backline or decent PA.
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The only thing I would be concerned about going cabinet-less is that you will probably need to adjust your tone to fit with PA speakers. Since PA speakers tend to be brighter and deeper than most bass speakers, sometimes a tone that will sound perfect through your amp and cabinet might sound pretty harsh and/or boomy through the horns and subwoofers of a PA. This is especially true of distorted tones. That's why some DIs have built-in speaker simulation (a lot of people underestimate how much their particular speakers contribute to their tone).
    I might also be concerned that not every venue would have an adequate PA or monitors to handle bass without stage help.
  6. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

+1

Excellent advice

Just a suggestion, but something like a Zoom B3 along side the Darkglass B7K might be a nice option for you. The B3 gives you amp simulations (Ampeg SVT modeling among others) along with speaker simulation (if you want them too), EQ's, other flavors of overdrive, SansAmp emulation, choruses, flangers, all sorts of good stuff that might help you additionally tweak your foundation tone in many situations.

The B7K into an Ampeg model and maybe some cabinet sim might give you a sound closer to what you were accustom to than just the B7K alone, but without the weight. Could be handy for writing/jamming/practicing between gigs too.

My humble little board:

[​IMG]
  7. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: DarkglassElectronics.com
    Hey mate! Great to hear you're going on tour in the US!

What B7K version are you using? The American has a super strong and fat DI signal, so you should be fine.

IME if the sound guy is good and know what he's doing, you should be fine.

Specially given that the Microtubes (all models) feature post distortion filtering (besides the EQ).
    So that gets the signal pretty PA/Direct adept already.

I think you should be more than fine ;).

Regards,
    Doug.

PS Let me know when you come to Finland or Scandinavia... Saw you in Zürich last year and your band kicked ass! (Seriously recommended to all of those who're into prog and metal).
  8. buckalori

buckalori

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg
    Thanks for the tips guys, I will certainly look into some of these options. Intrigued by the suggestion by Stingray69 especially.

Doug! I remember meeting you of course. I have been using Nolly's when possible, I have been strapped for cash you see to buy my own! haha, so yeah whichever one he has!
  9. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I just got back from tour and I went direct through my B7K once or twice. It still sounded just as gnarly as when I plugged into my head.

This pedal will not leave my arsenal.
  10. Ian774

Ian774

So how's the US tour going, Lori? Did you manage to deal with the B7K as a DI? Happy? :)

Let us know !

(BTW I've been playing The Safety Fire's "Mouth of Swords" on repeat lately. Outstanding album, and amazing bass playing and sound !)
  11. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Go direct with the B7K and tell the sound guy to low pass the bass signal so you won't end up in the PA's tweeters.
  12. GilGB

GilGB

Good luck on tour man! love your band.
    I had a tour last month and i used a B7K.
    I think you should try to get a head and cab in the US (Lots of renting companies).
    I rented a SVT 3 with 810E in Poland and it was great.
  13. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Interesting. I have the finnish one and sometimes I wish the DI had more bottom end...
  14. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Douglas Castro, Founder: DarkglassElectronics.com
    Yup, the American version has a revamped DI section.
  15. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Really??? Guess I have to buy another B7K then...
  16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Another option: snag a VTBass to use as your amp, and run the B7K into that? Same SVT tone you're used to, ideally.
  17. TomasEderer

TomasEderer

Hello! Got a question that I hope somone could help me with

I love running 2 channels in my live rigg or in-ear mix
    also for the FOH to add more low-end if needed from the clean channel.

I got the dirty one fixed thanks to my B7K DI but the clean DI have lately been the sound-guys ****** DI's that (not always even holding togather unless duct-taped the **** out of) makes the Bass sound like ****. So what im asking is any tips on a good DI Box for bass BTW I only use active pick-up basses

and have been looking on
    Radial Engineering Pro DI
    Radial Engineering JDI
    Radial Engineering Tonebone Bassbone (dont see any use of the other things you can do with it ecept lowering the input cain before the B7K maybe)
    Radial Engineering JDI Duplex Mk4
    Radial Engineering SB-2
    It does look like a big jungle to me so some help pls
  18. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

Radial JDI! I'm in the market for one myself...
  19. TomasEderer

TomasEderer

Thanks alot
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A-Designs REDDI for the clean one ;)