1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

live recording vs. traditional studio recording band situation

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MattS, Jan 15, 2014.

1. MattS

MattS

I play bass and sing(yell) in a heavy sludge metal rock band. We're a trio. We went to the studio and recorded our EP in 2011 www.burrowsmusic.bandcamp.com released it ourselves as a free download. We were very happy with it and still push it. Excellent use of time and money. Since then we've been playing shows, we had a couple line-up changes, and are now aiming to record again.

Our current guitarist has some good experience with recording and the software, we have enough equipment and software to record it ourselves. We want this to sound good, but we also want to learn from it as well. BUT the guitarist and drummer want to record this all live in our rehearsal space; in the same room, mics on the drums and all our amps, and either record the vocals separately OR run a lineout from our PA to the interface and record everything together. Of course there will be some bleed over, but we attempted this lastnight and it sounded pretty good and very little bleed. I don't have much experience recording things myself, other than having recorded 3 albums in studios with a producer at the board. I, personally, think that if we're going to put the time and effort into a recording then we should record in the traditional sense of recording each element separately; I've rationalized everything that this would be more efficient, but my two bandmates are still wanting to record everything live. I can't possibly imagine how a live recording would sound as good or better than a track by track recording. I go with the flow and in this bands almost 4 year existence, we've had zero problems and drama and I consider these guys close friends and it's the most awesome/rewarding/fun band I've ever been in and I'm proud of that and appreciate it, but I just can't understand how/why anyone would do a live recording when there is all the capability and means to do a higherquality studio recording ourselves. I've always been a perfectionist when it comes to recording, especially if it's something that we plan on releasing. I'd rather spend the time writing a few more songs then record, than do this work for a live recording that I can't see sounding as good; For example, "oh dag my distortion was too loud/not loud enough on that part", that means we'd have to do it all over again, rather than just me re-doing that section.

What should I do? Am I wrong in feeling this way? If so, how can I convince them? what are the pros/cons of each method? it just seems like a waste of time to do a live recording when doing our own studio recording ourselves would be much better quality and take not much more time to do. Thank you for reading. I appreciate any/all responses.
  2. lexington125

lexington125

see: the Beatles and just about every other band prior to the very late 60s. In the earliest days of multitrack, the band played live, that was bounced down to 2, 3 or 4 tracks and any remaining tracks were used for overdubs. But the basic band was recorded "live". The idea of starting with a click track and then adding single instruments, one at a time, and building a recording is borderline lunacy. But it is all many people know...... FYI - recording live is much faster; many of the greatest albums of all time were recorded in 1 or 2 days.
  3. jasmangan

jasmangan

+1 to what lexington125 said.... It's way to easy to get bogged down when tracking everything. Time is short; IMO you're better off doing it live so you can get it done and start on the next album. Unless of course you have a million dollar budget and all the time in the world, then…
  4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Well, with computer technology you have virtually unlimited tracks. Record live then record all the instruments separately on separate tracks. You'll already have everything all set up so the time expenditure will be minimum. Experiment with the mix and see what happens. What else better do you have to do on a Saturday night?

Good luck!
  5. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Case in point:

:)