Live sound issue

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by asherg33, Feb 10, 2013.

1. asherg33

asherg33

I am borrowing a Line 6 bass pod from a of friend of mine, who recently asked for it back. This pod was connected to an MXR M80 bass DI, but the di can't produce a good bass presence without the boost of the pod (i don't use the effects on it, just the sound enhancing parts of it). I plug into my church's direct input system thru the PA but i can't use that pod with my di, so what else can i pair with it to bring the presence of my bass in the big room of the church? I want something that doesn't cost as much, but something very effective like the pod was- i really dont require effects because i wouldn't use them, so are there any pedals that provide a legit boost with my di? I don't use any amps, because my church doesn't let anyone use them, so we all play with direct boxes. Please help me out!

2. jaywa

jaywa

SansAmp Bass Driver or Para Driver.

Search this forum, there is a lot of info on both. They go around $200 new these days best I recollect.

3. pete rallis

pete rallis

Sansamp Bass Driver..it just works.

4. asherg33

asherg33

ya people told me about the sansamp bass driver from tech 21, but it just wouldn't fir my budget, so i went ahead and bought an mxr m80 bass di.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

There's nothing wrong with the M80. My M80 is plenty loud. The clean volume on mine is set at about 10:00, as a matter of fact. Just play with the settings a bit. It probably isn't set to unity gain.

EDIT: You guys kill me. You don't even bother to suggest a solution to the OP's issue, other than telling him his gear isn't good. :eyebrow: I've owned both the sans-amp and the M80--at the same time--and A/B'd them for about two years running. Which one do I still use? Not the sans-amp.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1 for the M80 being more than ample for this situation.

If this is still an issue, it sounds like you may be mistakenly leaving the pedal turned off. This pedal has tons of bass, and the volume control alone can make your signal boom. If the pedal's not engaged, the DI actually still works...so your bass guitar signal will still go through to the PA, you just won't have control to shape or boost the signal.

This may sound obvious, but I'm wondering if it's a mistake because of the way the distortion "effects" channel only turns on/off with the right foot switch if you have the EQ section (left footswitch) turned on. So before shopping for other options, make sure the pedal is turned on and the distortion channel is not. You should have all of the tone and volume control you need for your situation.

EDIT: And like Stone Soup said, check the master volume control if you do have the pedal on. It's on the top row, to the left of and separate from the distortion channel controls. In my experience with passive basses, the volume is set to unity gain at about noon.