Lkland Jerry Scheff Bass Club - No.1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RumbleBeeAL, Mar 31, 2011.

1. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

I believe it's time for those of us that own a Lakland Jerry Scheff Signature Series Bass to post up and get to know one another.

From Lakland's web site: Jerry Scheff was the first-call bassist for Elvis Presley during a large part of his ongoing and illustrious career as one of the most popular session players. Following a move to L.A. in 1964, Jerry's career took off with recording and live gigs as a sideman for artists including: The Monkees, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, The Doors, Bob Dylan, John Denver, Barney Kessel, Howard Roberts, Larry Carlton, Tom Scott, T-Bone Burnett, Richard Thompson, Sam Phillips, Neil Diamond, and the other Elvis ... Elvis Costello. Jerry's first recording gig? Bass guitar on The Associations, Along Came Mary.

Having been a long-time devotee of the classic sound of "lipstick" style pickups coupled with an outboard preamp, Jerry approached Lakland to build a bass that would incorporate these elements with Lakland's 34" and 35" neck lengths into a single unit that would meet all his live and recording needs. From a long process of trial and error between Lakland's shop and Jerry, the Jerry Scheff Signature Bass was born.

The Scheff retains the signature Lakland body shape and neck dimensions of Lakland's 4 series basses. New to this model is a set of low-output Kent Armstrong Split-Tube pickups cased in "lipstick" covers that provide a vintage look and sound. The pickups are coupled with an onboard preamp to provide a warm and defined mid-tone reminiscent of some of Jerry's most popular lines. The pickups are also placed farther from one another within the body - set nearer to the bridge and neck respectively, opening up an extremely broad tonal range.

The bottom line on Jerry Scheff: Jerry has played with both Elvises - Presley and Costello - Bob Dylan, Richard Thompson and The Doors.

To receive a LJS number, please post the following:

US or Skyline?
    4 or 5-String?
    Body Color?
    Neck wood?
    Fretted/Fretless?
    US S/N?

Please include photos and any interesting specifics you may have regarding your Jerry Sheff model basses.

LJS Member List:
    001 - Reserved for Jerry Scheff
    002 - Smokin' Toaster
    003 - RumbleBeeAL
    004 - Squirefan01
    005 - JohnDough247
    006 - Trabeen
    007 - NOLABASS
    008 - oli@bass
    009 - Holdsg

2. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Bass #1 - US JS4 BlueTrans/Rosewood Fretted, s/n:JS07
    Bass #2 - Skyline JS4 Candy Apple Red (CAR)/Custom Maple Lined Fretless (MLF) with US style tuners
    Bass #3 - Skyline JS4 IncaSilver/Ebony Lined Fretless (ELF)

US JS07 was originally ordered and owned by one of Jerry's sons, Lauren Scheff. He requested that the bass be built with the "Luck No. 7" neck. You also notice this bass closely resembles the bass Jerry played at the Lakland 10th Anniversary event in 2009 Riders On The Storm by The Doors

Below is a Glamor Shot taken by my friend Markus at www.Area5100.com

3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

Shouldn't Jerry be # 001 :D

4. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

j/k :D Stunning bass you have there :cool:

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Good idea, Gordon! I don't own one, but Scheffs are cool and rare. And your blue one is spectacular.:bassist: I'm looking forward to seeing the others out there.

8. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Thanks Greg! These basses are indeed unique.

Several days ago, Tony O. and I were discussing the need to start a thread to learn even more about these instruments.

9. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster Supporting Member

Well THIS should be a small club, and I'll be a minority among minorities... 2004 Skyline Jerry Scheff 5 string in Inca Sliver:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging out with my other Lakland - Dude Pit Limited Edition II. I loves me some Darkstar tone! And really, really rare basses.

[​IMG]

10. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Tony, you have been served #002

11. Smokin' Toaster

:hyper:Jerry Scheff is #001, I'm #002, what's your number?

Hey, that guy has a bass just like Gordon's!!

12. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Scroll up to the first post, Sir!

13. Smokin' Toaster

Wow. Just wow. I am quite honored and humbled.

14. Squirefan01

Squirefan01 Supporting Member

Hey all,

Please add me to your list. I have never gotten a number in TB before so looking forward to getting my first! Mine is JS10, built by Lakland for themselves in 2006. It's a 4-string with quilted maple top. They took it to NAMM a few times and Tal Wilkenfeld played it once. It is the only USA made Scheff fretless! Lakland decided to sell it at some point and a gentleman in CA bought it. Then I bought it from him on eBay about 3 years ago (when I joined the LOG).

Love it!

-Greg in MA

[​IMG]

15. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

...and served: LJS#004 - Squirefan01

I'm glad to see you found us, Greg!

That's a great supporting story for your unique US Scheff. I too have a Fretless Scheff. However, that one is a Skyline model in Candy Apple Red (CAR) with a new custom Maple Lined Fretless (MLF) board and US style Tuning machines. My US #JS007 is BlueTranslucent with a Rosewood fretted neck as shown in a previous post.

I added you to the list in the first post of this thread as well.

Welcome to the Group! Be sure to invite others that you know of to stop by. Also, it goes without saying, but you may also want to hit up Doug (BassPraiser) for a LOG# too. Having a Lakland Jerry Scheff Signature Series bass, you certainly qualify for both.

16. Squirefan01

Squirefan01 Supporting Member

Will do! Thanks for starting this group!

17. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Hey all!

I'm the guy who (finally) bought RumbleBeeAL's Inca Silver Jerry Scheff...it's on its way so I'm almost a member i guess...

18. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Question to all: when did they start and stop making these basses? Don't see much of them at all so I was wondering if that's the main reason why...

19. willsellout

willsellout

Congrats on that purchase. I was going to buy it but it seemed you wanted it more than I did. If you ever get tired of it, send me a PM!

Dan

20. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

Brandon,

Welcome aboard!

Glad to see you found us OK.

Your bas sis still on schedule for delivery tomorrow. Open it up, tune it up, and plug it up. I'm sure you won't have any regrets!

21. RumbleBeeAL

RumbleBeeAL

I agree 100%. It is very nice indeed with a bit of history as well. you may recall this is in fact the bass used for the JS sound samples you hear on the Lakland site. Of course, it had the Rosewood neck installed back then.

With my Skyline CAR Maple Lined Fretless and the US RW Fretted, I simply had no need for the third Jerry Scheff. However, with two Scheffs in my stable, I'm still the record holder in this forum. That is until someone else steps up with more.