1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lo-fi but clear separation

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 2behead, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 2behead

2behead

Getting ready to record a 7" playing drums of all things for a garage, surfy, punk type band some friends of mine have going. We have a bit of recording gear. Not a lot. To get "the sound" I'm thinking we have some good things going for us. 1 a large rehearsal space that has high ceilings. 2 we have a fender Harvard and a old portaflex at said rehearsal space. 3 we have a Teac 3340 reel to reel, and we are a bit loose ;).
    What I'm thinking is put a pair of over heads in the sweet spots of the room. Mic the drums, guitar. The bass will have a di. Move the amps as far apart as possible and try to use at least a 70-30 in favor of the overheads. Only use the close mics to fill out the sound a bit. Then record the vocals through a harp amp type set up. Dirty and overdriven like the pa set ups used to sound.
    Am I on the right track here?

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

I don't have much (any) useful tech knowledge but that sounds awesome!

I'm a big fan of using mainly overheads and then "colouring" with close mics for drums... could be interesting :)

If you want separation, can you rig up a couple of amp shields? Or would that defeat the point?

Cymbal wash vs. guitar treble could be your biggest issue IMO - don't cane the crashes too hard would be my advice...

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Ps please post up a rough mix when done!

4. 2behead

2behead

We are planing on just running some tape, guess and check type deal. Drum shields haven't come up but it's something to keep in mind. I think keeping the room sound the focus is the key but I don't have a lot of experience with recording on my own. I'm not ruling out using some crapy cymbals ether. Going to start with the nice ones but that may change.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 2behead

2behead

By separation I'm referring to each instrument being clear and present. A good mix. Not as much each track being isolated. I'm not too worried about bleed. I think that's part of "the sound"

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Separation is:

a) stereo pan separation
    b) frequency spectrum separation
    c) front to back of mix (presence v. reverb)
    d) having distinctive, separate parts.

You don't need all of those, but the more you include in your planning, the more separation you'll achieve.

8. 2behead

2behead

This is perfect. So tune the kick up to clear the bass some room. Pans the direct bass, guitar tracks left/right. That should help. My kick is a 18 so that should work out pretty well. Altho it is "punk" we are trying to leave sonic room for each other.

9. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Are you going to mix it all to 2 track live or dump it into a DAW? I highly suggest the second approach so you can mess with things later. Put a high pass filter on the bass set to about 60-100hz to keep it from fighting with the bass drum. Tune up the drums with those little sticky pads so they don't ring too much. Sounds like the room will give that to you.

Another way to think about it is to mic everything up and mix it so that it sounds good, but dry and then mix in the room mics to taste (the room mics provide your reverb). You might end up with less room than you originally planned. Also experiment with room mic placement a lot.

Definitely post the results!

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

That formula worked for early Ramones releases, which most would agree would fall under "lo-fi" but separated.

One suggestion depending on how "lo-fi" you're wanting to go is that I have heard that vinyl is less forgiving of low frequencies, and that if you're planning on having heavy bass, it may work better if centered as opposed to hard panned.*

*No first hand experience with vinyl releases, these may be vicious rumors. Hopefully someone with more vintage experience than me can clear this up.

11. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

A good trick for isolation that's not as expensive as drum shields, get some 2x10s and build a couple of 4'x4' frames, fill with a medium density foam and tack it in with felt or old comforters on both sides. They make for nice isolation pads and cost about $20-$40 each to make. Stand them up with 2x4s perpendicular to the frame on the bottom to isolate them from the ground a bit.

12. 2behead

2behead

any one else have a few good tricks?