Lo-Riders - lower tension than most strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

I just strung my bass with DR Lo-Riders for the first time.. and well that was a rather disappointing experience. I think the first I ever put on new strings and was like wth?

I've mainly played Ernie Ball Stainless Steel before, until I realized they were too short for my ripper (see here). Jason at BSO suggested a few choices, but only Lo-Riders were available in the gauges I wanted (wanted a 110 for drop D). Only other choice are custom LaBellas. (which I am going to order asap!)

Anyway I'd like to understand what's happened.. the DRs really sounded weak, soft, dull.. they even "played slow". They didn't that attack and that feel you get with new strings.. even my drummer said they had "no attack". My guess is that they might be lower tension than other strings I tried in the past? I always played the same gauges (45-65-85-105).

2. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

I like them. DR Sunbeams have lower tension, but Lo-Riders to me have average tension.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You ended up ordering .045 .065 .085 .110 correct?

That is odd. Did you press down over the bridge saddle so the strings have a witness point?

4. KingRazor

KingRazor

I'm not sure why tension would have anything to do with the issues you're describing.

I haven't ever used Lo-riders but the impression I get from those who use them is that they are actually fairly high tension strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lebowsky

Yep, and 110 feels great on drop D btw. I didn't particularly press on the bridge saddle. Could this be the issue? Should I restring or can I do it with the strings already installed?

There was also something with the feel of the strings in the hands that felt different from other new strings. I don't know.. as if they were "less new" than others. Probably a brand issue.

7. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I am getting ready to order LoRiders because they are supposed to be HIGHER tension. Now I'm not so sure.

8. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I've never heard this before... Something either wrong with the set or how they were installed. I'm on my second set from BSO.com and will be getting a third shortly.

They are higher tension, in fact it's why they're called lo riders... The higher tension allows you have lower action. I love them. They have a great grindy, growly sound to them, even unplugged and surprisingly a pretty smooth feel.

When new, they do have the new roundwound zing, particularly the stainless steels. I don't think it lasts very long, but in my opinion the growly tone comes out a bit better after the zing goes down a bit. I have had my last set of steels on for 8 months are so, and still growling like a lion.

9. GastonD

GastonD

I played Lo-riders before and was pretty satisfied, even though I have since moved to Fat Beams. Actually, they are supposed to be of higher tension, thus able to sound good even with lower action, hence the name lo-riders. If am not mistaken, they have a hex core to make them more...hmmm...rigid, for the lack of better term.

Maybe you just had a bad lack with that particular set.

10. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

I play lo rider nickels on my 4 and 5 strings. 45-105 and 125 B string, tension is quite high and they feel nice and smooth. Sound wise they are punchy, warm, articulate, and they do growl!

11. Lebowsky

It might (is probably!) my setup! But I don't know what I could have done wrong.. There definitely is no zing and no growl at the moment :( The Ernie Ballsthat had for several months before definitely were growly! Could it have something to do with that "witness point"?

12. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Hard to believe stainless steel round wounds can sound so different between brands, but they do. Not to sound like a hater, but I've tried DR Lo-riders in steel and didn't like the way they sounded or felt. I thought they felt grabby and slow to play and didn't have much punch either. I prefer the pro steels more. I've heard good things about the Ken Smith Master series steels as well.

13. Lebowsky

Well in that case that would be more or less the same feeling as me!

14. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

+1, They are my new favorites after much time and money with others including EB Cobalts,Fatbeams, Highbeams, and Labellas.They sound great on my Big Al 5. I did use the 130 B

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Leave the strings on there. Press down on them over the saddle so they are completely straight and not curved going over the bridge.

16. Lebowsky

I did that.. I don't see or feel any difference. I think it's just what SturmUndDrang said though.. I don'tknow they really feel lighter and slower than the Ernie Ball.. Isn't it possible? When playing fast with a pick, it feels like I get much less resistance.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

They are higher tension compared to DR's round core strings. But, compared to most other hex core strings they are normal. In fact I remember Slinkies to be stiffer feeling than LoRiders.

18. Lebowsky

I decided to try out Ken Smiths, as they're also long enough for my Ripper, and also a custom order for longer scaled La Bella steels... we'll see!

19. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Cool. I look forward to hearing your impressions. I did notice that the Smiths don't have a .110 in an extra long length. Did you get an extra long set with a .105 instead? If you got the regular length .110 it might not be long enough.

20. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give those Slinkies a try!

21. Lebowsky

Actually for a Ripper through-body stringing, I need a 38" string, and the "regular scale" KS 110 is long enough:

I love 'em. Really too bad they only do the Nickels in longer scales...