1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lo Riders vs Hi Beams - ***?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Dec 4, 2012.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

On my 6 string fretless, I had a set of Lo Riders .030 - .130 and was getting some buzz on my E, A, and D strings where I normally didn't. I thought this was weird as I know Lo Riders are a bit stiffer than Hi Beams (not higher tension, actually lower tension with the sets I have when compared on my rubberneck Ibanez).

Today, get a set of Hi Beams in gauges .030 .040 .060 .080 .100 .125 and strung them on, and now there is no more buzz. I haven't touched the truss rod and haven't touched a bridge saddle and I am getting absolutely no buzz. Not only are these Hi Beams which are more flexible, but they are also a thinner gauge so they should also be lower tension than a thicker set of Lo Riders(but still higher tension than Lo Riders of similar gauges.)

So what gives, were my Lo Riders bad... why am I able to get lower action on my fretless with the Hi Beams... I can't figure out why unless it's something specific to fretless bass, how the string vibrates against the wood or something.

Ideas?
  2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Interesting. My guess is that your neck moved while changing strings accidentally giving you a better setup. Where on the fingerboard were you getting buzz?
  3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

5th and 6th 'fret' position more than anything else, no where else on the neck though.
  4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

You may have had a slight back bow that corrected itself. Necks move over time and changing strings may have helped it move a little more. Hard to say for sure.
  5. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The only way to know for sure, is get out the setup specs for your instrument.
    Yes, step-by-step is actual work, but you will know for sure.