Local band creates their own gig place.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Some local guys recently bought/leased a dormant nighclub, cleaned it up, and set up two stages. They play and have another band on the bill. They charge admission, but it's a byob, own eats or whatever. They seem to be having pretty successful events. Anyone have something similar in their area?
  2. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

If you tried that on my side of the pond the local authorities/Police would shut you down tout suite. Killjoys.
  3. kevteop

kevteop

Sounds pretty cool if it works. Well done them. :)
  4. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I've done it in a local firehall and was very successful....unfortunately, not allowed anymore BYOB's due to firehall liability.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Sounds like a great way to go broke.
  7. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

No liabilities, no legal issues, no overhead.... BRILLIANT!
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sounds like a great Idea. Every town could use a place like this. I would like to see it with out the Booze to attract more youngsters. Or Yungin's as they say around these parts.
  9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Wrong on all counts. Even if your club is byob, but you still have legal liability and a need for insurance. You still have to pay for lights, heat, insurance and maintenance.
  10. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Glad to know you can't get away with it over there, too. In fact, in today's litigious climate I think you could be setting yourself up for one Hell of a fall.
  11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I'm sure there are plenty of expenses and liabilities. Cover is 10 bucks. I think it's done more for the love of playing and giving other bands a place to show their stuff.
  12. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
  13. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

I just set up a thread asking if this works. Glad to see it does.
  14. saustindavis

saustindavis

That sounds like so much fun! Our old drummer had this huge garage that we talked about doing house shows out of. Same idea, BYOB, just hangin' out with other bands and our friends, making good music. Having to pay bills and manage all those people, making sure a fight doesn't break out, seems like a little more stress than I'd want to put up with, but if it's working for them then more power to 'em. I wish we had a fun place like that, but most of the venues here treat bands like trash.
  15. morgansterne

morgansterne

we have a BYOB place in Cleveland Ohio called All Go Signs. The night I played there was also a free jazz group and a short movie premiere. It was ridiculously hot -- that's what you get when admission is free and the place can't sell booze to pay for air conditioning!

http://www.allgosigns.com/

it was neat, though, people went out onto the roof to cool off and we all felt a little like we were part of the underground scene.
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Not worth the hassles and issues IMO.
  17. Jarrett

Jarrett Supporting Member

I've thought about it, but the administrative overhead just to have a good place to gig is not worth it, imo.

Now if I hit the lottery or something, I would do it in a heartbeat to grow the local music scene.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Would be difficult where I live in Massachusetts. You would need to obtain building occupancy permits, certificates from the Fire Department, obtain a business license, liability insurance, provide security, etc. Not to mention the tax implications of reporting the income from the shows.
  19. nortonrider

nortonrider

When the Allman Brothers Band was first starting out,
    they would just go to a Park in Atlanta, set up and start playing.
    They didn't even need a "venue".

It might be possible to rent a gazebo, community bldg., shelter house at a local park
    and stage your own event.
  20. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

That would be illegal as heck, here.
  21. sharkfist

sharkfist

I played at a state park for a friends son's graduation party. Alot of shows get shut down by the cops but how many people can say they got shut down by the DNR?