Local music store fail

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mizzou541, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

So I'm looking into some mods for my Blacktop P. I want to install an active preamp and change controls from V/V/T to Master Volume - Blend - Stacked Bass/Trebble.

I'll admit that I don't know a lot about electronics but I assumed the tech at my local music store did. I explained what I wanted to do and he asks if I wanted to change out my pickups as well. I said no. "Are they active?" I said no. "Well I'm not sure that would work. I've never heard of trying to put an active preamp in a bass with passive pickups."

:eyebrow:

Thinking I probably am not going to ask them for help with the mods now. Probably buy one of the prewired Bartolini harnesses where I basically just have to make a couple of solders to connect the pickups.

2. MIMike

MIMike

Almost all pickups are passive. There are a few truly "active" pickups, but that's not the norm. It's only the preamp that makes a bass active (most of the time).

3. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Yeah I'd stay away from that tech for any work, lol.

4. dalkowski

dalkowski

Take it to your local GC.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Most music store tech's work on guitars 99% of the time.
    99.5% of guitars are passive or upgrade to EMG active pick ups.
    It is rare to see a pre amp in a guitar.

Just because that tech did not know a lot about pre amps does not make him a bad tech. He may be able to do great things with a acoustic guitar or set up a Floyd Rose perfectly.

Try to remember that basses are not as popular outside of this forum as you may think.

7. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

Try to remember that basses are not as popular outside of this forum as you may think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for ruining my day!!!!!!!!!:bawl: :ninja:

I thought we made the world spin????

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's actually a simple thing to do, especially if you're installing a preamp (assuming you have room in the cavity). If you're going to have 2-band EQ, the Aguilar OBP-2 is a great way to go. The preamp itself is very compact, so it most likely would fit in the P bass cavity, but finding room for the battery could be a challenge.

9. Lowest End

Lowest End

The Aguilar OBP-2/3/whatever is a terrific preamp. I'd highly recommend it.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

No tech works on guitar 99% of the time unless the store only sells guitars. You hang out here enough to know basses break too, so do amps. The tech is clearly an amateur at best, I would not recommend him. Would you pick a mechanic to fix your brakes who doesn't know much about brakes because he is good at oil changes.

11. mizzou541

The Aguilar was what I wanted originally but decided to look for something that was 9v rather than 18v but I've come to the realization that some routing will be involved either way so I might as well get what I want. If I have to rout into the body anyway, might as well make room for an 18v battery box.

12. Lowest End

Lowest End

The Aguilar OBP-3 I put in a bass was 9 volt...

13. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

please dont, please consult a bass specialty shop.

14. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I once made a preamp for a guitar as someone had modded it with an EMG bridge "humbucker". So I needed to match the level of the neck "lipstick" by boosting it with a J-FET stage. Other than that, I agree that guitar techs would have limited exposure to installing preamps.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Aguilar is fine on 9 volts.

16. Michedelic

Michedelic

Take the 45 minutes to go to Lawrence, and go to Mass Street Music. They know what they're doing, and have for 40 years. Otherwise, go down to the Crossroads District to Midwestern Musical. If either of those places were where you went initially, I would be disappointed(in them, not you!). I have a suspicion you went to 37th & Broadway.

17. Michedelic

Michedelic

This is a long shot, but you could also contact JHS Pedals in Grandview; they used to be a retail store before they became a major player in the boutique pedal market. There's also a new music store on Lexington in the town square in Independence, Bentley's in Parkville, and Guitar Syndicate on North Oak.

18. mizzou541

I'm actually from St. Joseph. I think I've found someone up here who knows what they're doing but I still may end up just getting in touch with Keith George up by Lawson.

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Why not call Best Bass Gear? They have a slew of preamps and pots, and they also build preamp/pot combos to order. I'd bet they could tell you if there is preamp that will fit your bass without having to make room for a battery.

Oh and BTW, I've got a 9V pre in one of my basses and it has NEVER failed to deliver what I wanted/needed, and a battery would last about 6~8 months of playing 3~4 days a week.

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That'd be fine on a bass with a rear access cover. On his Presicion (assuming a "Blacktop P is some model of Presicion), you'd have to take off the strings and the pickguard just to change the battery, and it'd still be hanging by the groundwire running to the bridge.

If it is made like a P, I think it'd be a good idea to route it for a rear cover or battery box.

21. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

The most powerful signal Ive ever played through was a set of giant humbucking pssives with an active preamp in a hadean 5 string. I stole the pickups and preamp out of it so i can feel the boom again someday.