Local music store says they only sell B stock.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Had to pay for a set up. Music store owner says all mail order basses are B stock and or defects and that they are NOT covered by manufacturer warranty.

How true does this ring?

2. Itzayana

Itzayana

Could be very true. Some stores specialize in "B" stock. And often they are a really good value. My experience however is that most manufacturers DO cover warranty on "B" stock or "seconds". While a few may not.
    I would contact the manufacturer for a definitive answer.

The other issue has to do with the re-seller's disclosure.
    If they did not make it perfectly clear to you at the time of purchase that the item was "B" stock and what their policy is, then they are completely at fault for not doing so.

Sounds kind of shady to me actually.

3. millsbass5

millsbass5

I don't think guitar companies are gonna let instruments out the door that ARE NOT structurally sound. What I think they may mean by "B-stock", is cosmetically flawed instruments. And, if that's the case, it sounds like my kinda store!

4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Austin Bazzar did not disclose any B stock in the sales. I sent two basses back and kept one that needed a set up. Music store guy says it's B stock and I do know the box had a prior shipping label on it. But otherwise the bass looked and felt great but for some fret buzz.

Not sure if I should get my next bass with the music store at some inflated price or go with Sam Ash. 5 string at sam ash 500 bones. I would bet 600 with the music store.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

The music store owner is an ass. ALL online stores most certainly DO NOT carry only B-stock. In fact, most that I deal with do not deal in B-stock at all. He's just trying to justify his outrageous pricing. Find another store. Really. I'd have called him out on it ... loudly, and when others were around. Sounds like the idiot who owns a local store near me.

7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

It's the ONLY music store for 45 miles since the other one went out of business two years ago :(

Lets say I can get a bass I want for 500 dollars. Lets say I get one from the music store guy and as part of the service I don't have to worry about Set ups and or any other minor problems. Plus I am spending money locally, how much more on the price of that bass is that worth?

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would buy exactly nothing from a store where the owner blatantly lies to me.
    Don't reward that behaviour, and tell your friends so he doesn't scam them.

9. paulears

paulears

The most easterly town in the UK - Lowestoft
    Let's be factual here. 'B' stock is a term bandied about that just means it's not pristine. It has no rigid meaning at all. A brand new guitar sold mail order and returned becomes 'B' stock, even though technically it is second hand - it's been sold and then returned. The music shop open a box and the knife makes a small scratch in the finish - it's 'B' stock. The manufacturer has a pile of guitars with small production scuffs, or maybe bubbles in the finish - or somebody screwed in the screws on the scratch plate a little on the wonk = 'B' stock sold off to dealers who want it. Some idiot over-tightened the 4 screws in the neck and by the time it reached the dealer, the neck is a separate item. This could be sent back - but what do they do, scrap it? No - they fix it and it's another 'B' stock item. Reputable retailers physical or on-line offer exactly the same guarantee on 'B' stock items. Warranties on second hand items are more limited, so if they cut down the warranty, then it's not going to be 'B' stock, it's second hand!

UK law makes all this very clear - products have to be what we call merchantable quality (as in fit to be sold) and they have to be able to do what you buy them for. If they don't fit these rules, you are entitled to a refund, or if you wish, a replacement. Mail order/internet at a distance sales have an automatic return with no quibble rule. If a retailer behaves shabbily (and in the internet vs shop battle, it's crazy) stuff them, tell everybody who will listen and never go back.

The real snag is the word 'B' stock - it's really just saying 'not brand new and perfect'.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

To me? From his shop. Not a dime. He's a bull **** artist, and I wouldn't buy from him if he was the last shop in the country. That's not to say I don't buy from brick and mortar shops, I usually do ... those that don't try to BS me, offer reasonable pricing, and have a good inventory of instruments. I like to play and hear the instrument I'm buying before I lay down my hard earned cash, and that is worth a small premium. When it comes to other gear, I'll usually go online.

11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I can understand where he's coming from, he's a small shop in a smaller city. I am sure times are always tough.

What my drummer says to do it just tell him I'll buy the bass from him but he has to sell it to me for the 500 I can get it for on line and not B stock. Cause I will tell any on liner seller I want a working bass send or they take it back and replace it with one that works on their shipping dime.

I'd have to think he's still making money.

12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

OK I went to get the bass and I talked to him about the 5 string I want. He asked what I saw them going for and I did mention the prices on line and he quoted me a mere 30.00 over what I could get one with Sam Ash or Musicians friend, any of the major outlets. I saw no down side to ordering through the shop. Any set up issues will the addressed before I take delivery and any other issues will be free of charge. Takes the guess work out of it and while I could get it a lot cheaper on line I would be sent another sent back bass like the ones I have been getting from Austin Bazaar.

I think he was fudging the facts with his views on b stock and internet orders but I think he just wants the business and if his prices are not too far off I am happy to spend locally. I kinda thought a music shop like that would mark it up 100 to 200 dollars from the going rates.

Had I bought the one I just had a set up job done on I'd not have spent any more then I did.

[​IMG]

13. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Soooooo Nov. 16th I placed the order and paid the down. As of now the bass is still not in. I might get it Sat but not holding my breath.

I guess getting an A stock bass takes a little time. I'd have had it within 7 to 8 days on Ebay.

14. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Perhaps he is not an authorized dealer and uses his b stock policy to prevent returns, as he can't return them to the manufacturer and they would directly affect his wallet.

16. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

nice but looks used to me

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Untrue. Say goodbye, don't go back. :rollno: