1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Local shop has a '69 Jazz body with an '82 AVRI Precision neck... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christopherogut, Nov 11, 2012.

1. christopherogut

christopherogut

Just as the title states, a shop local to me has a '69 Fender Jazz bass body with an '82 Fender AVRI Precision neck for sale. The neck is apparently a '62 reissue, in great shape. The body is mostly original, including gray bobbin pickups, neck plate, pickguard, thumb rest, but was stripped and refinished as natural and has several plugs near where the bridge cover would be mounted.

I didn't get a chance to check it out or play it as I walked in about 5 minutes before the shop was closing. I drooled over it on their website and then started wondering what exactly about it I found appealing.

I have an '87 AVRI '62 Jazz bass that is literally the best thing I've ever played. Quality, feel, and tone are all top notch. I would expect nothing less from this Precision neck... but are the '69 body and pickups worth it? Good era, good tone, or heavy and overrated?

Anyone have input about such a Frankenbass? Any ballpark ideas on value? I'm wondering if it's worth their asking price. It's going for about as much as I'd spend on another '80's AVRI bass. Part of me feels like buying it and putting that '82 neck on an '80's AVRI Precision, then doing something with the body...

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

have you played those reissue P necks? a lot of them were weirdly wide, thin and flat, like an ibanez shred guitar.

if the neck is comfortable for you and if it doesn't have the warp at the body end that all too many older basses get (that ski ramp that bends up right where the back of the neck changes from round to square) and if the body isn't a brick (i think it was usually the later '70s one that were bricks) and if they're not asking too much, than i suppose it could be cool.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Those early VS '62 P necks are my favorite. Wide side-to- side and very thin front to back. Here's the deal - play it and if it sounds good to YOU, then it's a good choice.

John

4. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I'd pass if in your situation for a number of reasons.

You already have a Jazz Bass...

The neck is something you're probably not used to.

It's been refinished. Do you have absolute proof it's even a legit body?

If you do decide to play it in the store make sure the two are a match in weight. You'll have neck dive if not.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christopherogut

christopherogut

I should probably make some time to go and play it for a while before I go nuts thinking about it.

They're asking $1700 and I think that's about $500 more than I could see myself spending on such a Frankenbass. I wouldn't have to spend much more to get a true '69 Precision bass. Of course, parted out, it would be easy to make $1700 back on a '69 body, pickups and wiring, pick guard, etc etc... and that '82 AVRI Precision neck...

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

on a re-finned body? really? :eyebrow:

8. christopherogut

christopherogut

Yeah, you're right.

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The body wood is worth about 400$ without parts, probably a little less. The neck is worth $7-800, the hardware no idea. You could make your money back more then likely, but not your time parting it out. I would be a buyer at $1200.

10. christopherogut

christopherogut

11. christopherogut

christopherogut

If I had a late '60's Jazz neck and an '80's AVRI Precision body kickin' around to do a swap I'd be all over it for $1200...

You've got the red Precision for sale, right?

12. mtree

mtree

If it is not the original bass stay away. I have four old Fenders and you can tell the difference.

13. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Yep. He can easily bank $500-$600 on a stripped Jazz body from that period - if in fact it was from that period.

If all the body parts are original (besides the finish) I'd say the body loaded is worth roughly $1500 in parts. The neck as stated earlier by someone would probably be $700-$800.

If it was me, I would have made them an offer and walked out with it if I knew I was getting what I was.

14. christopherogut

christopherogut

I know three things: One, I need to go and play the **** out of it before I make any kind of decision. Two, I would completely disassemble it and check the neck stamp, pickups, pot codes, serial plate, wiring, etc. before I made an offer. Three, I wouldn't walk out of there with it at their asking price...

15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Yep thats me.

I really like the look of that bass, id let it sit for awhile. It wont be moving fast, and then id make an offer.Finding a body for the neck from the same period wont be easy, fullerton reissue arent parted up much.Just as said make sure to totally check how legit the body is, I could tell you some things about it you had more detailed shots in the future. Basically it being legit with legit parts makes or breaks the deal.The neck is easier to verify.

16. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Get on it before I find out where "Monroe, NY" is. I ain't afraid to make me some money ;)

17. christopherogut

christopherogut

haha... well, I know where Jamestown is and you'll have a hell of a drive!

18. christopherogut

christopherogut

As I read through the responses to my post it seems that parting it out is where the value lies... I'd like to think that I'm interested in it as a bass to keep and play, but the value only seems justified when it's all split up and sold off. hmm.

19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

^Without playing and falling in love with it, that's the only objective way to determine its value.

20. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'd do that

Anyway, I love the feel of a Precision neck and the look of a Jazz body so I really think you got it

Yet, if you'd like to swap neck again
    Buy it again, then act as you prefer!

plugs on the body, especially around bridge, are nearly nothing
    but sure it's gonna be heavy

Cheers,
    Wallace

21. miles'tone

miles'tone

Looks a lovely bass as is. The deciding factor for me would be how heavy it is. If it is lightweight, resonant and the neck is straight I would say it looks like a keeper.
    I put a lovely 1990 MIJ '62 reissue P neck on an American Standard jazz body and it was a funk machine! Sweet neck, very thin front to back.
    Only reason I sold it was because it got too much for my on going back probs..