1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Logic vs Emotion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Deechord, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Deechord

Deechord

So here I am, 1 yr. into playing bass. Jam with friends, who say I am getting much better. Current set up is a Kustom 25w practice amp. Which is more than adequate for what we do. But I find myself GASing for a bigger amp.I was looking at the BG 250. I like that it has headphone and aux input. So I can play along and learn new songs. But no way to plug in an aux cabinet.
    Then I found the GB Contour 500. Would be cool to have...and has aux cabinet capabilities, aux input..to play songs. I was looking at the downloadable owners manual, I found this:
    The internal speaker DOES NOT automatically shut off when using the headphones.
    For silent practice use disconnecting the rear panel speaker connection is required.
    It did not say how to do this.
    But then I saw the price of anywhere from $700-850..until I found that someone had posted a link to Andrews Music in Texas. Very affordable.
    This all may be moot. I guess I'm just having a case of GAS. Who know's what the next cool bass amp will be...this year. I just need to keep practicing...and jamming with my friends.

Damn...that GAS!! :crying:
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Pull the cable out of the back of the amp, before powering up.

You must have very quiet bandmates. Don't kick off a volume war! Nobody wins, least of all the bass player, who needs 10x the power to keep up.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

grab it! at 500w and capable of pushing an extension cab, the contour is much more of a pro amp.
  4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

They seem to have thoughfully and professionally provided a Speakon cable connector for the internal speaker, as can be seen here. You should be able to disconnect and re-connect the speaker easily and safely, if that's what you need to do.
    [​IMG]
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

So what's your point? :eyebrow:

MM
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I think his point was that his current amp is enough, but these nagging thoughts of needing a bigger and better amp keep creeping into his brain and wasting his time.

He knows he just needs to keep practicing for now but he is relating to us through this new found and counterproductive GAS.

"Damn that GAS"
  7. Deechord

Deechord

Solar man...that's it exactly! Logic says I don't need an upgrade. Emotion say's....I WANT! But then Logic says that the Contour...at that price is a no brainier!

Sid Fang...the picture I saw did not show the speak on cable going to the internal speaker. Your picture show's it. Thank's
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Logic also says "25w may work for me now, but will put me in danger of not being able to hang in other situations besides my current one." I've got a 25w practice amp and it's very cool, but it's not going to hang in most of my situations.
  9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

+1. You will sound MUCH better and that will make playing even more fun. Disconnecting the speaker requires nothing more than hand twisting a connector in a second.
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Logic v Emotion... I tend to always go for the most awesome sounding and loud option when it comes to heads. For cabs I actually use logic.
  11. Deechord

Deechord

Jimmie M...thanks for throwing GAS on the fire...LOL. You are right. My 25w works fine in my average sized bedroom...where we jam...(low volume). Who know's where this bass thing will go. Case in point...last month I was over at a friends garage...he was in this band. They were doing a rehearsal...but their bass player was a no show. I was drafted to fill in. I did not know many of the songs...but got the chord progressions at the beginning of each song. I played mostly root notes...keeping time with the drummer. Then would throw in a root/3rd/5th. Yes I missed some chord changes. 2 1/2 hrs. Later..we were done. The band members were very supportive. I learned a lot. And I was in hog heaven...when I left.
  12. lomo

I repeat-do not underestimate how much more satisfying it is to project real bass into the room with authority, even at low volume. If you can upgrade without financial strain, I would do it in a picosecond. I practice with a GB 210 combo at low volume and it sounds great!
  13. Deechord

Deechord

Lomo: So the next question would be....which one? The 115 or the 210?
  14. lomo

I don't think it matters much. I would personally opt for the used GB Shuttle 6.2-210T combo that's currently listed in the classifieds as 900 shipped including the custom Tuki cover. You might get that for a tad cheaper. I have that exact combo and it kills, plus you have the added benefit of being able to easily remove the head in a few moments for use with other cabs/ added flexibility. It pumps 375 watts into the 8 Ohm 210 or 500 into 4 Ohms if you add an ext cab or simply use the head with another, larger cab. Lastly, if you ever develop any trouble with
    with the cab, you can have it repaired without losing your head for time, and the reverse goes if you have to have the head repaired. That combo also has a tilt back foot on the bottom so to make it even easier to hear yourself in a loud mix.

In choosing between the 115 and 210, I'd opt for whichever is lighter to carry :)
  15. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Even when you can get loud enough w/ a 25 watt combo, you might be surprised at how much more efficient and musical your right hand technique can get with a larger rig.

Letting the amp provide the volume lets you play with a much lighter touch. That lighter touch in turn opens possibilities for tone and dynamics that aren't available when you *have to* dig in as hard as possible just to be heard.