Logical Rickenbacker Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KCLRbass, Aug 22, 2012.

1. KCLRbass

KCLRbass Supporting Member

Just picked up a Rickenbacker copy by Vancouver's Logical Guitars. It ain't a perfect clone, but what a COOL bass! Really nice pseudo-Rick bite/growl plus smooth P-like thump from the neck pickup. Set neck, binding (body and neck), hard case, amazing "fit and finish". Solid, solid player. This one's gonna get a ton of action! Highly recommended.

All that for $350 Canadian (used).

[​IMG]

Oh, and FYI, that shot was taken at the guitar shop. My wall-o-Twins at home is twice as big ;)

2. WD_Stevens

WD_Stevens

I think I drooled over my keyboard at that price. Any idea if you can get any others or was it just a one-off?

3. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

I'd hit it, but I doubt there is any way I could get one of those shipped to the US.

4. WD_Stevens

WD_Stevens

No matter what the shipping costs, it'd still be less than the cost of a real Rick, surely.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Well for example ESP forbids any non-NA dealer to sell to anyone in the US because of the lawsuits Gibson imposed on them. I have a feeling it would be the same idea here.

7. WD_Stevens

WD_Stevens

Oh, did not know that.

...any laws preventing sales to Australians? ;)

8. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

I want it. Will they ship to the U.S.? Does the company have a website? I must know...

9. WD_Stevens

WD_Stevens

Incidentally, do we prefer any particular colour (I believe the term is finish but I'm new to this) on the Ricks?

I tend to like that natural one but the black contrasting with the pickguard looks quite nice as well.

10. KCLRbass

My understanding (albeit from hearsay only) is that the Rickenbacker copy is one of Logical's standard models, but that legal complications keep them from listing it on their site. Again, hearsay only. I've never dealt with the company myself.

11. KCLRbass

Check out www.logicalguitars.com. Like I said above, I heard that the Rick copy is in fact one of Logical's standard models, but now that I have one in my hands, I would encourage anyone who wants more info to contact them.

12. WD_Stevens

WD_Stevens

Oh, is that why I couldn't find it anywhere? I looked on their sites and the sites of all their apparent dealers and not one of them had it listed anywhere. Interestingly though, one of them did have the Greco copy listed which is slightly confusing there.

13. geddeeee

geddeeee

When you say 'legal complications', you mean RIC have had another hissy fit, and are threatening to sue.
    Jeezis!!! I own a Rick bass, but the company attitude is frankly, ****!!!
    Can you imagine if Fender whined over all the P and J bass copies??

RIC, grow up!!!! Anyone who buys a copy KNOWS it's not a real Ricky.....

Sorry, but that attitude makes me mad!!!!

14. aquateen

aquateen

RIC is protecting their trademark, something Fender never did. if they had, there wouldn't be any P or J copies.

15. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Exactly and a big +1

Rickenbacker had the foresight to protect their brand and Leo Fender chose not to.

I have never gotten the fascination with those who want "copies" (code for rip-offs) of Rics. You can buy a brand spanking new Ric for between $1,500 and $1,800 any day of the week (about the price of a new MIA Fender).

So, rather than scour the world for cheap imitations, why not save up your bucks (or buy one on payments from one of these on-line stores - establish your credit ;) ) and get the "real deal"?

16. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

did you grab the bass in toronto, or was it shipped? I saw Tundra Music had a bunch of Ric clones a while back, but I believe they were the Dillion ones. Don't know these Logical guys, but it would be, er, logical to assume they weren't allowed to advertise for this bass. RIC is really intense on shutting down copies.

17. KCLRbass

Picked it up at Paul's Boutique in Kensington Market.

18. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

cool, man. Love that place! it's funny, my band played a show with you guys at Lee's last June, and I remember you had a 6 string, with a fretless 5 as backup.... now an influx of 4-bangers... I guess the only consistency is the change, eh?

19. KCLRbass

That was a FUN show, Phil! I remember it well.

Yeah, I still use that Vadim 5 as my main live bass, and my Staniscia fretless 6 is still in heavy rotation as well. Since we're in the middle of making a huge record, though, it's always good to have as many tools in the kit as possible. Hence the new gear.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Im sure they will NOT ship any of those to the US because Ric would sue them in a heartbeat. And, it is fully in Ric's rights to protect their products (in the US). Hey, if you produced a product, got patents/copyrights, but then someone made a cheap copy, you would be ok with that right and let it go? I dont think so.

Fender chose not to pursue their patents so you have the cheap chinese Ps and Js, which Im ok with because its legal and Fender chose that. But Im also ok with Ric choosing to defend theirs.

21. Immigrant

Immigrant

I remember back when guys would buy VW Beetles and put those ridiculous Rolls Royce grilles and trunk lids on 'em. Or the kit cars that looked like Shelby Cobras, but were really just fiberglass body parts slapped on a Pinto chassis.

That's exactly what these and other Ric copies are. A cheap, chintzy imitation of the real deal. But if you like em, to each his or her own. I'd personally rather just buy a bass I can afford that isn't a total ripoff (like an Ibanez) of another (classic) instrument.