1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Logo design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chief Janez, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Chief Janez

Chief Janez

hey,

I'm trying to design a logo for the headstock so i need some opinions.
    [​IMG]
    WARNING: MADE WITH MY "AMAZING" PHOTOSHOP SKILLS

Should I dump the guitars part and use just the TK, or something else...

Should I redesign the logo?, does it look corny?

The more feedback I get the better, thanks again
  2. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

I'd dump the "Guitars" and replace it with something kind of short for a logo that would be universal to what ever build you put it on and have separate model name for that particular guitar.

I like the font, but the scroll lines give it an old time'y look, maybe make that font bold and play with the size a little would do it.
  3. jay tay

jay tay

I like Logo's with less writing, this is the one I have been using, with my initials JT

[​IMG]
  4. Chief Janez

Chief Janez

Well the main idea was to give it an old time'y look :p

I like the art nouveau-esque letters and ornaments found in decorative art and posters between the 19 and 20 century and i wanted to capture that feel with the logo..
  5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

The leaves are cool, and the thingie under the letters is cool. But even though the design of the font works well with the decorative elements, they still look disconnected from each other.

If you lose the "Guitars" part, you'll lose most of the Alphonse Mucha aesthetic.

I would make the text smaller and center it between the leaves.
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

I like it. I'd
    - scale down the leaves by 10%, then
    - scale down the squiggle in the center of the underline by 5-10%, then
    - scale down the whole thing a couple of percent, then
    - play with the length of the underline tips to see what looks best as far as overshooting the leaves, landing even, or coming up short
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Its too busy, I would loose everything but the font.
  8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I think it's good, but a bit large. Maybe try somewhere between 60% and 70% of the existing size- the scale of it is a bit off, to my eye.

A logo should tell people who you are, not necessarily what you do. It's already on a guitar, but if that's the company name, make T.K. the main focus and shrink the 'Guitars' part. I also think the K could look better (match the G better) by inverting it. The low waist on the K makes it look odd next to the G, in that style. It reminds me of the Art Nouveau style used on Arts & Crafts items/furniture and I like that style. Not sure it would fit the spirit if you use machines for all/most of your operations, but the look is good.
  9. secretsound5

secretsound5

right, a bit large. how about doing the T K G in caps and uitars in lower case. It may look less cluttered once it's strung.
  10. 49sfine

49sfine Supporting Member

Like PilotJones, I like the whole thing, just think it is a bit out of proportion. Like he suggested, I would play around with all those percentages and see what happens. I also don't think you need to loose the word 'guitars' either. I also like the suggestion of putting 'uitars' in lower case - see what that looks like.

Here's a monogram (crude initial drawing) I am playing with that has my 3 initials in it so I know what's it's like to try and design one of these things! My original idea was a small, one sided medallion to be routed into the headstock, but the cost may force me to go with a branding iron, or now that I think about it, a decal. We'll see ....

[​IMG]
  11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits
    In order to avoid any issues with utilization of Fender style headstocks we simply brand the neckplate and leave the headstocks blank.

We use fancy string trees to dress up the HS a bit.

Still, I do like the idea of something on the HS.
  12. Chief Janez

Chief Janez

thanks for all the ideas and suggestions

i played with illustrator a bit and redesigned the logo.
    I think it's better, but mabye something is missing...

[​IMG]

would like to read your opinions
  13. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits
    Lookin good. Remember, even Leo changed his a few times. :)
  14. ibateur

ibateur

Start with a sense of target audience. The font looks old fashioned and the leaves I find distracting. If you specifically want them, incorporate the initials into them. For logos, I feel that less is more. You want it to be recognizable from a good distance.

Maybe two-tone logo as well.
  15. pica

pica

I really like the first one. I'd just make it a bit smaller; and maybe make the leaves about half the size they are.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

I think the original has a lot of potential. I might scale it down slightly and maybe enlist the help of a graphic designer to add a gentle curve to the whole design. The straightness stands out against the contours of the Fender headstock shape.
  17. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

Why not just T.K Guitars and drop all the fancy art work.
  18. Chief Janez

Chief Janez

I'm leaning more to the second one, just because i don't want the word GUITAR to be the focal point.

I've shown the logos to my family and they were all distracted by the fact that GUITAR is so emphasised.

My sister, who is a graphic designer also favored the second one, so the first one is completely out of the way, unless i redesign it dramaticly
  19. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

base of k can't support the letter, it's distracting
  20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

+1