1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

lollar fralin or fralin overwound? specific question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by solitario, Aug 22, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

hi, I know this is and old question and are many many post talking about lollar or fralin.

After reading all of them I haver a few questions... maybe someone can help, thanks in advance

fralin are handwound lollar are machine wound, right?

lollar wire is similar to old fender wire for bass pickus while fralin uses heavy formvar that was fender vintage but for guitars, not for bases, is this correct?

fralin sound more raw and has a better high end ang growl while lollar are warmer with more low freq right?

Fralin try to copy fender 60s tone while lollar are vintage sounding but diferent, right?

I want them for a fender alder rosewood jb 60's posittion pickups. I play 2 diferent stiles with same bass rock hard rock (trying to get tim from RATM sound or flea jazzbass sound) and some old school funk and soul... brown, otis... love stuar zender sound so... wich one will work better for me? lollar, fralin or fralin 5%overwound?

Thank you
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes

Just as each person has a different personality, each person's windings on pickups will have a little bit different sonic personality. I would not generalize. I would contact both Fralin and Lollar, explain what you are looking for, and see if they have a recommendation for you. Both builders can use whatever magnets and wire in whatever winding suits you, and both will sound great.

The difference between "machine wound" and "hand wound" is a misnomer. The motor spindle on the winders take up the wire, and it can be fed either by hand or by an automatic tensioner which is supervised. I'm not sure it makes much, if any, real difference. There are those who say that because of the inherent inconsistencies in hand-feeding the wire, otherwise known as "scatterwound," there is more space between individual windings, and therefore less intra-coil capacitance, which can result in a slightly brighter top end. But we're all playing bass, not lead guitar, so does it really matter?

And if you're on a real pickup safari, why limit yourself to these two companies? In addition, Fender still makes their own, and Seymour Duncan has a range of pickups as well, and all are well received. There might even be some winders in the UK or continental Europe that may be less expensive to purchase and ship to you that are also just as good.

Finally, remember that most of the "sound" is in the player's fingers. Moreover, the rest of the signal chain, from cord through amp through cab or recording process, also has as much or more to do with overall tone than a single pickup.
  3. solitario

solitario

Everything you wrote it's true. I have allready try some Duncan's and fender, I'm looking for something with more vintage tone, mojo, organic sound... You know what mean. Duncan's sound good but I want to nail vintage jazz bass growly sound, that's why I have so many questions.

I like the idea of handwound for the myth itself, in a couple of years there will be hard to find and I have never try handwounds pickups before but the comments about clear sound raw sound with fralins mAke me think that maybe lollar have more harmonics...

I'm not a big fan of highs but my jb is a bit dark sounding so maybe fralins can help with growl and bit over lollars...
  4. solitario

solitario

Anybody else?
  5. iiipopes

iiipopes

There is a thread with a pair of Fender "Original '60's" pickups for sale currently.
  6. ptleftybass

ptleftybass Supporting Member

Sadowsky Single Coil J/J for 4-string (pair)
    CODE: SCJJ4
    Price: $160.00
    Single Coil J/J for 4-string (pair). Direct replacement for all J pickups. Superior vintage tone!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1377207949.299919.jpg

Putting these in my 2000 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass, I have these in my Sadowsky Vintage Jazz and play passive (love the tone), I also have the Custom Shop '60s Single-Coil Jazz Bass® in my 2013 American Standard Jazz and I have the Aguilar AG 4J-60 Jazz bass pickups in a 1995 Fender Standard Jazz they also have a great vintage sound. The pickups in the Jazz Deluxe currently are Fralins like the tone (but I'm loving on the Sadowsky's) so i'm replacing them with the Sadowsky's.
    I also have Fralin's in 1 of my American Standard P-Basses, so just saying IMHO the Sadowsky's come closest to the vintage sound I'm looking for.
  7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+1 on looking at wider range of pickups.
    Also +1 on Aguilar, their AG 4P-60 is a very nice pickup, actually very close in tone to the Lollar P. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II have the most bass and on the other end of the spectrum the Fralin have the most high.

The Seymour SPB-1 does not quite have the tone of the pickups listed above but it's a very balanced pickup that offers great tonal balance. For something bigger sounding and more assertive the DiMarzio P is a monster in its own right. It's a ceramic pickup and nothing quite sounds like it.
  8. solitario

solitario

I dont like aguilar stuff, bad experiences with the amps in the past.

so anitiqity 2 will have more bass, lollar just in the middle and fralins more highs? right?

my bass is light alder with rosewood, it is a bit dark sounding. I'm looking for that vintage clear vintage sound with some air and growly (my bass is not very growly with the quarter pounds I have right now) but what I do NOT want is glassy highs kind that sounds like click plack clack.

Fralins are know for clear sound but some people complain the sound too raw and glassy. I dont know if SE will be to dark sounding and lollar are right in the middle.

It is hard to buy pickus when you live in spain and you dont have many chances to try diferent ones in similar instruments. :crying:
  9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

The new Aguilar pickups are excellent. I would not overlook them at all. And, Aguilar has some of the best customer service in the industry.

In my experience(having owned several vintage Fenders and having tried a ton of pickups) the Seymour Duncan SJB-1 pickups get as close as I have heard to a real 60's Jazz Bass pickup. They aren't all that expensive either. Antiquities don't really sound vintage to me(in fact they are a bit on the muddy side IMO, although I like the P-Bass pickups). They might work well on a really bright sounding bass, but I wasn't a huge fan of them.