1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lollar P bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by justinellison3, Dec 18, 2012.

1. justinellison3

justinellison3

Anybody use these? What's your thoughts on them? How do they sound compared to others? And what kind of tone do they give?
  2. woolysock

woolysock

Love them. Even response string to string. Clean, rich, with easy access to overtone/harmonics.

Can only vaguely recall/compare to the original pup in my 62 ri Pbass. It sounded a wee bit thinner/brighter. You might say transparent.

The Lollar, on the other hand, has bite and balls. It sounds richer and more complex. Very responsive to touch/attack. You'll also notice it is put together w more attention to detail.

You won't notice much difference in most band situations, but if your band offers space where you can be heard, or you solo a lot, the difference is readily apparent and well worthwhile IMHO.
  3. justinellison3

justinellison3

So if I play just lines and fills there's not much difference in tone vs the 62s?
  4. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

Warm, balanced, total vintage vibe.Worth every $.
  5. woolysock

woolysock

"So if I play just lines and fills there's not much difference in tone vs the 62s?"

There is a difference. You might hear it. The audience won't.
  6. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

I've had one in my P for two years now. It's a beautiful sounding pickup in my bass (ash body, maple neck) — especially with heavy LaBella flatwounds. Captures the classic P sound VERY well.

I used to think it was spendy @ $110, back when the Fender '62 pickup was selling for $55-60, but now that Fender's raised their price into the $80 range, I'm back to thinking Lollar's price is a good value for what is essentially a handmade pickup.