Lollar P bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by justinellison3, Dec 18, 2012.

1. justinellison3

justinellison3

Anybody use these? What's your thoughts on them? How do they sound compared to others? And what kind of tone do they give?
  2. woolysock

woolysock

Love them. Even response string to string. Clean, rich, with easy access to overtone/harmonics.

Can only vaguely recall/compare to the original pup in my 62 ri Pbass. It sounded a wee bit thinner/brighter. You might say transparent.

The Lollar, on the other hand, has bite and balls. It sounds richer and more complex. Very responsive to touch/attack. You'll also notice it is put together w more attention to detail.

You won't notice much difference in most band situations, but if your band offers space where you can be heard, or you solo a lot, the difference is readily apparent and well worthwhile IMHO.
  3. justinellison3

justinellison3

So if I play just lines and fills there's not much difference in tone vs the 62s?
  4. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Warm, balanced, total vintage vibe.Worth every $.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. woolysock

woolysock

"So if I play just lines and fills there's not much difference in tone vs the 62s?"

There is a difference. You might hear it. The audience won't.
  7. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

I've had one in my P for two years now. It's a beautiful sounding pickup in my bass (ash body, maple neck) — especially with heavy LaBella flatwounds. Captures the classic P sound VERY well.

I used to think it was spendy @ $110, back when the Fender '62 pickup was selling for $55-60, but now that Fender's raised their price into the $80 range, I'm back to thinking Lollar's price is a good value for what is essentially a handmade pickup.