1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lollipop '66 J I've owned 31 years, do I keep it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

A little history: I'm the second owner, the first bass player to own it, it sat in it's case 11 years under a bed before I bought it in 1983, it was still wearing the original strings. I played it off and on through '98 when I went 5 string and only practiced with it once or twice since then.

It shows some wear on the back of the neck and is otherwise mint with undisturbed solder except for, wait for it, I had Michael Dolan re-finish it in 2001 or so. I had worn the gloss off of the finish (near the neck where I anchor) and used it for an excuse to refinish in all black because I never liked sunburst (still don't). Mr Dolan didn't want to refinish it, but I talked him into it (his big concern was depreciation). He did a fantastic job and it would pass for original except I would never misrepresent it as such.

So the issue is I don't use it, won't use it and have discovered I am at heart a Pbass player, whether 5 or 4 string. Those skinny J necks feel like toys and I actually cramp up when I play it. Plus, after 12 years of the bass merry-go-round, I found I just don't care for the J bass tone.

So I have plenty of basses, why not keep it? I'm thinking about trading it for a '66 or older Pbass I would actually play. What to do?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

If you don't play it and there is no sentimental value involved, no reason to hang onto it. Favor an exchange though because the market isn't that great these days.
  3. someparts

someparts Supporting Member

Why refin it when you weren't even playing it? Haha. I have lots of stories like that also...

Will be a bit of a value loss on the refin but not really if you want a P anyway...trade it. You can probably get a pre-CBS P for it.
  4. Thumper

I had no real reason to re-finish it other than I thought it was SO UGLY but also that I would use it more than I did, I still was buying 5er Jazzes at the time but still wanted to keep a 4 around. I'll put some photos up tomorrow (on the Kindle now).
  5. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Get rid of it. You wont regret it. Time for it to move on.
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Dang. I wish you had posted this a few months back. I sold my refin'ed '66 P, in part because I just couldn't handle the nut width. I would have traded you!

I guess it will be no surprise my vote is sell it. Buy another '66 that you'll play. Or get johnk_10 to build you one that looks and feels like the best '66 ever made - and most likely pocket some change.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Sell. It's just a tool. Get a new (old) tool that yo want and will use.
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Don't even hesitate. You don't like playing it and don't like the tone. Refinishing put a real hit on its value, so I agree with Jazz Ad. Go for a trade - the market is soft right now.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Not only that, refin it in 2001, when vintage values were well known. :rollno:

OP - sell it.

Sure, if the OP throws in a few thousand on top of his refinished bass.
  10. Thumper

Yeah, no need to beat me up, I've done it plenty in the last couple of years. Never thought I'd get rid of it, and may not. It was the first good bass I ever had. From 1968 to 1983 I played a Vox Delta IV, so the Jazz was a real upgrade.

I even tried putting XL Chromes on it a coupla years ago and got a fairly decent tone, but can't get past the toothpick neck. Oh well, it looks great on display in the living room, no hurry to move it, I've got plenty of great basses, more than I can work into a decent rotation, and don't need the $.
  11. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Is it a poly or nitro refin?
  12. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

i would sell it to someone that would enjoy it....someday, all of our toys are gonna be owned by someone else anyway!
  13. Thumper

Nitro for sure. I had the best local luthier do an evaluation (post refin) for insurance purposes (he now does them for Gruhn (or however you spell it)), forgot to tell him it was a refin, and he couldn't tell. I told him after the fact, he was upset on several levels.
  14. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Haha-- some of these guys are hard to work for, eh… :)
  15. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    If I were you I'd post a "feeler" for sale in the TB classifieds to see if there is any interest. You'll get offers and can evaluate whether you really want to sell.
  16. Alex1984

Alex1984

Man, I'd love to own one of these. I have a 66 J built by John and it's the best playing bass for me.