Lone Survivor questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

so seen the movie, enjoyed, but a few things in the movie left me thinking....

how do 3 goat herders with a bunch of goats with bells around their necks stumble upon 4 highly trained SEALS, who are hiding on the side of a hill with a big telecope?

So let the goat herders go? ok so wouldnt you reccy the escape route first so you dont hit a dead end, before you actually let them go? Also why wouldnt you send a guy back to your last comm point and send off a pickup message before you let them go?

Why didnt they leave the 3 goat herders tied up on a hill, then escape back to the orginal pickup point, get picked up and then send off an unsecure radio message to the tally to say 3 goat herders are up on the hill, go get em?

2. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Hollywood? I'm drunk, sorry didn't reals the book either

3. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I loved the movie. Thought it was the best military movie ive seen. No military unit is perfect as they all have humans in them. Letting the children go was a military failure but a victory in humanity. Wether thats the way it really happened well never know.

Normally movies like "olympus has fallen" are riddled with military and physics BS that I cant stand. Watching a C-130 shoot a gun calibered in 7.62x51 through thebstreets and we only see like 1/50th of the bullets we should be seeing, metmal cars not overheating and turning orange, dust not being knocked off of objects, or my favorite from that movie.... telling someone the walls of the white have been reinforced with thick steel and rock only to have small arms shooting bullets through said walls like theybwere made of straw. LONE SURVIVOR didnt give me much to hate. Very accurate physics and attention to detail. Of course its been hollywooded up a bit, the thing questions you had about the film i feel are possible.

4. JimK

JimK

(I have not seen this; I will buy in June when it's available on disc).
    That said-
    Read Luttrell's book...IIRC, it was 2 "goat herders" (no child/teen involved).
    Remember...more than the 3 SEALS died; the rescue helo was shot down with many onboard, too.
    I wonder if they woulda done something different knowing that...?

The Smithsonian Channel (few months back) was streaming "The Taliban Gambit". It is a docu on the Luttrell rescue. What floored me-
    The Rescue Chopper pilots were reserves! Brilliant flying in hostile territory.
    The rescue was in the middle of the night (I was told the movie had the rescue in daylight).
    The pilot (AKA "Spanky") said he would not have attempted this landing in Arizona (Training) in daylight...in Afghanistan, it was a minute plateau with about a 2000ft drop off to one side w/ a mountain wall just to the opposite side.
    Then, after delivering Luttrell back to safety...back out to pick up his buddies.
    Amazing. Worth seeing if you can find it.

5. Register to disable this ad