1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Long Scale SG Fixation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampegbass, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ampegbass

ampegbass

Hey, I have a bad jones for a long scale Gibson EB ( SG ) bass.
    In particular the SB-450. Since these are relatively hard to come by, ( ok there is one on Reverb ) does anybody know 1, anybody who builds something similar or 2, anyone who sells this body shape unfinished....Warmoth and Allparts do not. Thanks.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

ESP/LTD makes one that I believe is rather affordable, depending on what the definition of affordable happens to be.

If money is no object, Warwick makes a beauty; the Jack Bruce signature is one and I don't know if there is a base model that is similar but isn't the sig model.

4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

If the shape is what you are really after, why not consider an Epiphone long-scale EB-3 and then change the electronics out? The few SB-450s I have encountered had "blah" tone and BAD dead spots. I was put off them immediately.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

This.....I own a 65 SG Special and several Epi SG 400's and a Korean Epi T Bird bass.

The Epi's are really solid overall imo, especially for the money.

Some of the vintage EB-3's are not outstanding at all, same with vintage SG guitars!

7. ampegbass

ampegbass

Thanks for the suggestions ! Regarding the SB-450 I would change the electronics as a matter of course.......modding is my middle name ! The Long-Scale Epi is an option worth considering but I was really hoping to avoid having to put any replacement pickup up against the neck. Thats why the 450 is intriguing as the neck pickup is farther back.

8. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

I understand. But unfortunately, Epiphone offers very few models that do *not* have a pickup right at the end of the fingerboard.

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I would make my own body and slap on a bolt neck....you could easily control the thickness of the body to get it balanced right this way.

I always wished my 65 SG Special was just slightly thicker to balance better.