Long search for SS on a jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Levin, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Levin

Levin

Hi!

I've been reading every other post almost at this strings section of Talkbass for the past maybe two years, and learned a lot, and tested a looot of strings.

I'm looking for a stainless steel string for my Fender standard american jazz bass, as the multiple strings I've tested have led me to the insight that I most like a stainless rounds sound on this particular passive bass.

I've hade, hm, let's see DR Fat Beams on it and liked them a lot (after testing a looot of nickels, which I've loved except they get TOO dull/sometimes undefined for my taste, the brands I've tested so far at least) and a bunch of others, GHS flats, TI flats... and now, since a year back, LaBella Deep talkin' Rounds 45-110 or whatever the heaviest gauge was.

I'm totally loving the tone of these, especially in the low register, and it's an ok mids, and, well, there's something about the highs that I don't like but I don't know really what it is. A little harsch, but yet... not harsch, I don't know.

I've had a lot of strings on my mind for my next try in my search for 'the string' for this bass, and I thought the Labella were it, but I know that I want a thinner gauge, not the same stiffness and a bit more balanced kind of string, with a hint more growl, more highs and especially mids, with not a too rough texture on them.

As I think the majority of the answers to the question 'what should I get' will be the personal taste of whomever writes, not actually considering what I'm looking for, I'll just say, what do YOU use for not-so-old-school-as-possible-funk and solo/small band setting jazz on a passive jazz? : ]

So, no flats considered, have tested most, do not want on this bass.

No nickels. I've thought about Circle K/Kalium as they are balanced and seem nice, so nickel/iron alloys and pressurewounds, sure if they are up to the steel sound (not harsch steel like LaBella or D'addario...).

I'm sorry for my lack of correct grammar, I'm no native speaker in English.

Will be looking forward to the storm of 'choose this string, no this string's! :D
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Labella hard rockin steels are very easy on the fingers and not as harsh or zingy as most steels.

And your English is fine. Better than a lot of Americans I know.
  3. madmarvin

madmarvin

For what it's worth I love the DR Lo Riders. They last forever and once they settle in they sound smooth but still have that steel bite to them. I have them on a Lakland Joe Osborn and they sound fantastic. They can totally do funky thump and crisp punch for slap and pop. Dial it back and they sound smooth for Jazz runs. Very versatile string.
  4. Levin

Levin

Yeah, the Labella hard rockin steels seems a great choice and I considered them about a year ago, but got the Deep talkin rounds instead. Haha, nice to hear indeed! About the english.

I've had Lo Riders on this bass, but nickel and I found them a tad to stiff (was 45-105, so maybe 40-100'll do the trick..) and well, dull after a while. But maybe those!

As I'm a big fan of the nickel Foderas I thought about these (their SS) but they are quite clear in their tone, not exactly growly...

The Hard rocking's are on the top of my list, but would like to hear a lot of people out first! : ] More so than I've done before.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

It seems obvious to me...DR Hi Beams.
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

From your description, sounds like you might like Hi beams, although I prefer Labella SS myself
  8. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I prefer rotosound 66s because of the growl that I love and cherish. Although i heard they can really damage the frets and fretboard overtime....
  9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I am trying to find a little more articulate yet warm and even stainless too.....I always used nickels...but just got an SVT2 thats a bit dark....I had a set of old Fender stainless to try on my passive jazz and loved how it still sounded vintage but cut through more and was more articulate......Since they stopped making those strings I just ordered a set of Fat beams to try....but I think I am going to get some Fodera stainless next....I love their nickels so their stainless must be good too!

If you want something really growly try nickel iron mix....I like Superalloy for that.....they are very warm and even and growly....but have kind of a vintage tone.
  10. Toptube

Toptube

Dean Markely Helix stainless steel are my current favorite strings. I just put on my third set! They sound a little deeper than other strings I have tried, have a complex mid range and a punchy, full low mid character. The highs are even sounding, not excessive. And they don't over express the unwanted overtones, which can sometimes happen with other stainless strings. Such as Rotos.

They also have a smaller core to wrap ratio. So even though they are hex core, they are more flexible than most hex core strings.

in a 4 string set, the E and A are taper core. The B is also tapered, in a 5 string set.
  11. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    La Bella RX SS, love them!
  12. Journey55

Journey55

Have you tried Ernie Ball Cobalts?
  13. Levin

Levin

Thanks for the tips! Oh, I haven't tried the Dean Markley and don't know if BSO ship them to Europe, but they seem great too! As for now I'll try those or Labella Hard rockings. I don't know about the RX, I mean, how are they?

Yeah, definitely did not like EB Cobalts, and no other EB either that I've tried. Much like my GHS strings I've tried, haven't liked a single type yet...
  14. doubleball

doubleball

15. Levin

Levin

Haha! :D

Why thank you! Thomann is a great site, used to buy strings and other stuff there.
    However I've had such great service/tips/delivery from BSO so that's where I'm buying, he's true.
  16. Levin

Levin

Finally, after listening (for the second time..) to Jasons great video about the Flexsteels (and Prosteels and LaBella RX series) I've decided to test out som of the LaBella RX SS, 40-100! After all I love the LaBella strings on this particular bass, why change brand when DR, D'addario, Fodera and GHS didn't sound like I wanted to and LaBella did?

Much excitement :D