Long-term Relationship LM III!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Get_Funked, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

Hello,

I am currently trying to assemble a rig (in my head) to use as my one and only. My ideal head is the MB LM III and I have recently come across the Hartke HyDrive HX112 cabinet as a potential match. I could really use some suggestions if there are any other cabinets better suited to that particular head.

P.S. I realize that the stats presented with most equipment tend to be slightly misleading so please suggest cabinets accordingly. (Avid TB stalker :bag:)

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you just need to get out there and play your bass and amp through different cabs, as a lot of tone is subjective.

IMHO the LMIII isnt worth a darn as it is a very sterile sounding amp to my ear. That is not the case for you. So our wants would be very different in cabs.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Just understand, your volume requirements will dictate how much spkr cab you'll need. A single 12 is great for solo practice, but way under gunned if you play in a band.

4. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

There are too many options for me to choose a rig based on any particular tone because I am one of the many that suffer with 'The Ultimate Setup' disorder. So to remedy that I would like to have a neutral rig so that I can perfect tone with my fingers and just let the bass hold up the tone side of it all. As far as applications, I play in a jam band so it would need to be suitable for practice (hence 8 ohm preference) and small to medium-sized venues. My previous amplifier was a Hartke HA2500, which I ran a Seismic Audio 4x10 and 1x15. This was before I knew much about how to pair items together to get the most out of it all.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Then IMHO I would look into something like the greenboy Bassic 15 with the 15PR400.

Would be really solid with that amp.

7. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

Alright, I will check that one out. I haven't heard of that name before. One of the other cabinets I was looking into were the Vanderkley NeoLite series, either the 112EXT or the 112MNT.

8. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Setting aside the truth of subjectivity and the advisability of checking out what works for your ear, anecdotally, I just got a Schroeder cabinet and looked through the club thread to see if there was some consensus on a "magical" combination (not unhappy, just keeping my eyes and options open). There isn't really a holy grail, but I noticed a bit of MB LM love and it looked like over the course of the threads, the highest proportion of owners considered that an ideal pairing.

Looking at the classifieds, they're a great used value and some models are ridiculously light. Possibly something to add to your considerations.

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Just get yourself two of the MB 12" cabs. And there's nothing wrong with MB amps they sound good.

10. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

I realize that there isn't a perfect rig. I am simply searching for a nice collection of cabinet suggestions that would pair nicely with the MB LM III. I guess one could say I am polling the masses to get a sense of what other bass players really like to use the LM in conjunction with. It would help me with my initial search so I wouldn't be starting from scratch looking for a combo ideal for my style/needs/etc. I am not a "one trick pony" so to speak so that is mostly why I am drawn to the neutral tone of the MB gear.

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mine sounds great through 2 210hfs, IMO only one needed for a 4banger. It sounds FANTASTIC through my composite Thunderchild 115, which is plenty loud for any venue most weekend warriors play.

12. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I'm playing a LM2 (similar amp), into a 12/6. In my situation, which is with FOH support, it is easily capable of too much volume for our stage levels. It can carry small clubs at comfortable listening levels.

If I were to upgrade to a 2x12 say, I would look closely at a Bergantino CN212 or similar high quality design.

13. Monkey

Monkey

I use an LMIII with a fEARful 12/6, which sounds great and is loud enough for most of my gigs. When I need more, I add a fEARful 12-sub, and the two cabs together can easily carry any gigs I play.

For a few years, I used two Aguilar GS112s with my LMIII, and they were a good match.

14. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I found the Avatar B210neo to be a very good match with the Little Mark head that I had. ~$400 and 45lbs and loud enough for almost all of my gigs. If I would have stayed with it I would have added a second identical cab in a vertical stack for the big gigs, and that would have been plenty loud for outdoor stuff.

I agree with others that the single Hartke 12 would be very limited. If I were to go the Markbass route again, I would probably look into the fEARful 12/6 cabs...they are build-it-yourself cab plans, but you can find them used in the classifieds, or you can get a Greenboy authorized dealer to build you one. Although I'd be awfully tempted to go back with the Avatar since it sounded so good. I did get rid of it because I wanted something with more baked-in flavor, but there are pedals that might do that, as well. The Markbass excels at clean, warm notes that come through evenly at any frequency range. That can be really refreshing, and it can also be bland in some settings. It will probably be great for a jam band since you'll be able to hear your own articulation.

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I love my LM III, so I understand your loyalty to that head. My favorite cab choice for the LM III is the Bergantino HD 112. I also really like the light weight CN 112. Both offer some nice articulate high end, while still giving full, rich lows.

There are lots of great cabs out there, of course. Just thought I would add my dos centavos.

16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have the LMII and I like it a lot (and I am very picky when it comes to gear).
    Portable, reliable, accurate as long as you do not really crank it, quiet fan etc.
    It does not have ALL bells and whistles, though.
    My only "word of warning" is to find a cab that works with the somewhat unusual eq points in the amp. Some users have problems tweaking the upper bass as there is no knob for that range.

17. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

I am planning on purchasing a new bass guitar as well when I begin assembling my rig. I'm looking into the Fender Deluxe P Bass Special as a primary weapon. Anyway, as far as the Hartke cabinets I am looking at, I was going to get two of them for the 4 ohm capability. Would that be suitable for a jam band situation tonally and power-wise?

18. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

On the same ticket I am also looking for a versatile rig for street performing, but still my one and only.

19. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

First off I would recommend checking out the Big Bang before pulling the trigger on the LMIII. Doesn't sound like you need the second input, and the Big Bang is lighter, smaller, has Aux input (all better features for street), headphone out, and IMO sounds a bit better than the Little Marks.

Second, the only thing you can do with those Hartkes is give them a try. I had a bad experience with lightweight, inexpensive 12s from a different brand, so I would be reluctant myself. Just tough to get a lot of performance from a little box without some amount of engineering behind it. At least try one first before going all in on both to be sure you like the sound and can use it at least for some applications. Modular doesn't help much if you'll ALWAYS need both cabs.

20. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

That is the other one I am considering seeing as I still like to have jam sessions in my room (by myself). The only problem is I have read an ample amount of reviews that state the headphone output as not being true to the tone without extremely high quality headphones (or a separate item for headphone use). Any insight?

21. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I owned a LMII for a few years and loved it. My experience was the epifani cabs sounded really great with that amp. I used a pair of epi UL112s and epi ps112s. The epi ps112s have a nice low-mid punch to them and are a bit under-rated on TB, IMO.

112s are great as they are portable and modular.

Edit: and +1 to the fEARful 12/6. I usually like 500w at 8 ohms for fEARfuls but the 12/6s sound dang nice.