Long time bassist finally buying an amp... Help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by amadden, Nov 13, 2012.

1. amadden

amadden

So I've been playing for quite a few years now, but I've only ever played by myself so I've never felt the need to upgrade my amp. I've stuck with the tiny 15 watt amp that came with my first bass like 5 years ago. And it's been, you know, somewhat acceptable over the years.

But no more. I've decided it's time to pick up something new, and something that has some actual oomph to it. But like I said, I've never upgraded my amp before. I've bought new basses, I could tell you everything you need to know about a bass, but amps are foreign territory to me. I just don't understand wattages and speaker sizes and all that. What's "good enough?", you know?

This amp would mostly be used just for screwing around by myself at home, playing poor covers of Rush songs... But I'd love for an amp that was big enough to actual play with other people, should it ever come to that. Maybe even able keep up at smaller gigs too? I don't plan on being the next big bass player, it's will always be just something I do for fun...

Does anybody know of an amp, or at least what I should be looking for in an amp, that would be the perfect fit for me? I don't have a specific budget in mind, but maybe around $300? No more than $400, that's for sure. (And, unfortunately, music stores aren't an option due to the rinky-dink town I live in :()
  2. soulman969

soulman969

I'd say that a GK MB112 II much like the one one I have would be just about perfect for home and studio and still have the ability to handle small or medium sized venues with a band. I've used mine in all of those applications.

It's a 200w 1x12" speaker combo with a very small footprint so it tucks into a living room, bed room, or a den pretty easily and lacks nothing in the way of great sound and decent volume capability.

It's in your price range @ $375 from the online merchants like MF or GC and right now I think they're offering a 10% discount that would make it $337.50 delivered. I'd highly recommend looking at one of them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-mb112-ii-200w-1x12-ultralight-bass-combo-amp

Based on your description of your needs it's most likely all you'll ever require. Good Luck.
  3. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

+1 for GK

They make great gear.
  4. shackled

shackled

There's a MB115 in the classifieds...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. amadden

amadden

I checked out that MB112-II, and that does seem like an awesome amp. The ability to add more cabinets to it, crazy!

Unfortunately, however, I live in Canada. I guess I forgot to mention that. And I can't find a single place that ships them here. Maybe because they just came out? I don't know... I wasn't planning on buying anything right now anyway, so I guess I'll just keep my eyes open...

I'm still open to all sorts of suggestions though.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

The new versions have just come out and I think the dealers are just now getting their stock. Musicians Friend has them listed on their site and in their catalog and has a 10% off promo going right now.

I don't know what the situation is as far as shipping to Canada but you could certainly check with them or contact GK for the name of their Canadian distributors. These small GK combos are superb little amps.
  8. Randall

Randall

Kijjii has lots of used amps but you may have to take a road trip if you are in a remote part of Ontario. Good luck with your search. ;)
  9. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    what's wrong with the new Traynor stuff since you're in Canada?
  10. MyMusic

MyMusic

11. pgolliher

pgolliher

+1 to the GK MB stuff. Sound great, light weight. Personally, I would go for at least a 15" speaker or 2-10" speakers if you think you might play with rock guitar players in the future.
  12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

GKMB115 $275 + Shipping

You can't beat that with a stick.. If I were you I'd jump on it.
  13. amadden

amadden

I'd jump on that, except I'm kind of broke at the moment. I was just looking for ideas, and then I'd save up a bit of money, and then make the plunge... And, you know, that whole thing about "Wait a while to see if you still want to buy it"...

Plus, who knows if he'd ship to Canada or how much that would even be.
  14. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    +1 !
    Since you want something smaller, I'd go for a 1 x 12. A 2 X 10 gets a little large. Also, a jack for an extension cab in case you ever need more.....ooomph!
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes

+1. Remember that an amp's volume is largely dependent on how much air the driver(s) can push. One of my heads is an Ashdown 180 that is loud through a 210 but is significantly louder through my 410+115.
  16. owendavis

owendavis

My opinion is you should take your bass to the shop and play it through the amps. And once you have determined which one you like the most, buy the most expensive one you can.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In that case I'd wait for the GK to come available in your area.
  18. millsbass5

millsbass5