long winded string question.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harpguy74, Feb 15, 2014.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

I am stuck between two extremes, I love my labella flats , they are on my jazz bass most of the time. I also love roto66 that I put on now and then. I normally play blues, reggae and some classic rock through a gk mb112 with no effects , the last couple of weeks have been playing around with effects and soloing and I find I cant get the sound out of the labellas that I have in my head, with the roto66 I cant seem to dial it down enuff for the reggae stuff. I know another bass would solve my problem but till then I am looking for a string that has some snap and definition but can be toned down for that classic thump sound, It seems to be easier to dial out highs and mids than to try and get them from flats.

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

If you prefer the feel of roundwounds, DR sunbeams provide a nice warm tone. I've used them for everything from slap to reggae, and they would be a nice middle ground between your extremes.

For a flatwound, D'addario Chromes or Rotosound 77 Jazz Flats will both have much more treble than LaBellas. For nice, punchy, aggressive mids, I prefer the Rotos. They're very stiff-feeling though, so caveat emptor. Personally, I like the way they feel.

3. Levin

Levin

The Fender flats! They have the meat of flats and the growl/highs of rounds, and more defined and better balanced than the chromes, and a lot less stiffer than both them and rotos. Not loose though. Great compromise if you want both rounds and flats as they both very well IMO.

4. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

I just picked up a set of Fender tapewounds. Haven't installed them yet, but I have played them a few times on a fretless, ash-bodied jazz bass (not mine). They're different than the LaBella and D'Addario tapes I've tried in that they're very obviously thinly wrapped rounds (the D'Addario and LaBella are wrapped rounds, too, it's just not as visible). You can feel and see the windings under the plastic. They're the brightest, least clacky tapes I've played. On the ash jazz, they allowed me to play clear harmonics and get a pretty killer (think Bakithi Kumalo on Graceland) fretless slap tone. They might be worth trying. Can't testify to their string-to-string balance -- the E is pretty big and, on the aforementioned jazz, was a bit stronger than the A, but it's possible that's the bass. Not sure how the big E would fit in a typical nut-slot, either, but I guess I'll find out. Still, I liked the tone and feel of these so much overall that I had to pick up a set to try. I intended them for a fretless jazz project I'm slowly putting together, but might have to give them a whirl on my fretless P.

If you dig Pino's tone, Thomastik flats on a P-bass -- nice, midrangy, not terribly thumpy but articulate, pricey. Have some on a Brubaker Brute and they do nicely in slap and with a fuzz and envelope filter.

The DR flats are less expensive than the Thomastiks and pretty good -- stiffer than the Thomastiks, not as much high end as the Thomastiks but more than many others, round core and pretty good harmonics for flats. More thump than the Thomastiks.

Haven't played the Fender flats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. harpguy74

harpguy74

think I might try the subeams I have a set of ghs bright flats that I had on my bass for about 5 days and didn't really like them then but I might retry them as well.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Yes, you are describing Fender Flats. I play them for all the same reasons you set forth in your initial post. Since Fender has stopped making the CL set with the 105 E string, the next set I'd use is the L set with the 45-60-80-100. The particular alloy of stainless steel wrap on the Fender Flats has more mid and grind than other flats, and the last set I had before the current set lasted me two years of gigging.

8. bobalu

bobalu

I faced the same problem you did (I still love the LaBella flatwounds though). After much research I decided on a set of La Bella 760RL Deep Talkin' Stainless Steel Roundwounds. They are perfect for this task. I wish I would have discovered them sooner. An excellent string that imo is in between a flat and a roundwound "sound wise". Far more definition and note clarity than a halfwound string. Definitely worth considering.

9. harpguy74

harpguy74

I wanted to try the elixir stainless too but they are not cheap if I don't like them. I have removed the labellas a few times to try something new and I always go back in a few days. I do love the roto 66 strings thou. man I need another bass, that would either solve my problem or cause a few more.

10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

It always causes me more. Every new bass I buy is a whole new string quest. Seriously, it's something I should really factor into the cost every time I add one to the collection.