1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Look at th' choices!"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milDoo, Dec 22, 2013.

1. milDoo

milDoo

:help: So i'm looking into getting my "next bass." :hyper: The problem is I'm trying to decide between three different basses.
    They are in my current favorite order:

1.) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-V-5-String-Electric-Bass-105913719-i1520297.gc

2.) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Music-Man-Stingray-5-HH-Electric-Bass-515512-i1148708.gc

3.) http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-B-206SM-6-String-Bass-108588302-i1323877.gc

I currently play a Fender MIM Jazz Bass which is why the Jazz bass is currently my favorite. Another reason i'm looking at the Fender, is the contoured heel, I like to play high up every once in a while. I like the broad range of sounds you can get out of a jazz bass, the problem is i've never so much played a MM. I like the idea of the six string but I just don't know exactly how much I'd even need that extra string. I'm in a band that plays mostly heavy rock type music.

So I guess really my questions are 1.) Do you have any experience with any of the three basses? 2.) Between the Jazz and the Stingray, which would you choose? 3.) If you play any sort of heavier type music do you play a six string? would you?

Any help here would be great!
    (*Disclaimer* I understand that about 99% of whether or not a bass fits for one person is personal preference. But I am at least trying to get all the information I can before I decide. Thanks again!)
  2. milDoo

milDoo

Oh and the color options in case they may change your opinion.
    For the Jazz bass I'm looking at the "Natural Maple Fretboard"
    For the Stingray I'm looking at "Stealth Black Stealth Ebony Neck"
    And then just the spalted maple generic on the LTD
  3. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

I have Jazz, pbass, Sterling sub5, and a Tele bass. The Jazz and pbass have their own priceless sound and history. I will never do without them. However, I do love my sub5. I would love to have two pups as the MM.

I vote for the MM.
  4. mannyk

mannyk

5. milDoo

milDoo

6. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

Between the MM and the Jazz I'd absolutely choose the MM l, especially if you have a Jazz MiM Jazz already. The MM has a killer neck that is easy to play and has a monster rock tone between those two pickups. If you didn't have a jazz I'd give more consideration to the deluxe. For heavy rock I found four strings are fine, five would be great. Every MM 5 I've played sounded and felt top notch.
  7. Nobody

Nobody

The Jazz(with it's passive option) with the MM coming in a very close second.
  8. KingRazor

KingRazor

The ESP is significantly cheaper than the others.
  9. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member