1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Look legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodney Shuffler, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Rodney Shuffler

Rodney Shuffler

[​IMG][/IMG]Update on my bass purchase, 1983 P-bass. Neck looks good to me, and I think body does too..lot of paint in the neck pocket, but everything looks like I think it's supposed to.....but it's been years since I cracked one of these open. Thought I'd get the opinion of the forum.

[​IMG]

I just put tortoise on, came with single ply white.
  2. GM60466

GM60466

no shims??
  3. Rodney Shuffler

Rodney Shuffler

Nothing in there but that, the set screw is in the body like it's supposed to be......this is how I remember them looking from that period with the micro-tilt or whatever they called it.
  4. Rodney Shuffler

Rodney Shuffler

TTT....hope others will sound off on this.
  5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Looks good. No shims needed. It has a micro-tilt.
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Looks real enough to me. I own three 1983 Fenders and had another that was stolen.
  8. Rodney Shuffler

Rodney Shuffler

Thanks for the help fellas, I also found three different black 1983 basses on the old interweb with pics and they all look exactly like mine..between the pics and your confirmation I'm happy...I got a real, near mint 83.
  9. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

i just bought an 84 Still brand new in the case looks the same... looks good post a pic of her together thx....
  10. Rodney Shuffler

Rodney Shuffler

Took a couple of hours of fret polishing to get it cleaned up, it's a real closet classic.....near mint condition but corroded from sitting for years. I did actually shim the neck, I prefer a shim to microtilt, but I used the microtilt to help determine how much I wanted to shim. I think a properly made shim gives better contact than the microtilt and more support, with that being said...I really couldn't notice any difference in tone or sustain between microtilt or shim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]