Looking at combo's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rusty2867, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Rusty2867

Rusty2867 Supporting Member

I am looking at combo amps and have found 2 that I am interested in #1 is Ampeg Ba115Hp 220w 1x15 @ $250 asking and #2 is Fender Rumble 350 of course 350w 2x10 @ $300 what do you guys think? There is also a Ampeg Ba300 in my area for $250
  2. P Town

P Town Guest

If you are not in a hurry to find a combo, keep an eye out for an Ampeg B100R.

One of the best solid state bass combos ever made.
  3. DogBone

DogBone

The right answer is to pick the one that sounds the best to you.

Otherwise just armchair quarterbacking here.

But maybe this will help a little: My main rig for the last 7 years or so has been an Ampeg BA210, which is the same as the BA115HP except mine has two 10" speakers instead of the one 15". Ampeg no longer makes this particular model.

I love the way it sounds, I love how small it is, I love the on board tuner (I don't use pedals and having that built in tuner is perfect...and it tracks quick and is very accurate just so you know), I love how it looks on stage -classic Ampeg.

I don't love the weight, I don't love how there is no level control or ground lift on the DI, although for the record I have asked numerous sound guys about it at our live shows and they say it's good level and quiet DI so I guess it's a non-issue.

I am neutral about the fact that the combo does not support an extension cab. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of folks on Talkbass years ago really blasted the Ampeg BA series for this.

Personally I don't care at all. I run into a PA 99.99 percent of the time, and play at a stage volume that is very sane. I do not want a combo that only puts out half power unless I lug a separate cabinet, if I want multiple pieces I'll buy a head/cab setup to begin with.

I primarily am looking for good tone at a reasonable volume from a small footprint, and that is what Ampeg BA series delivers.

Good luck. :)
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a Fender combo for a while that I used for practice and didn't like it. There wasn't any clarity and it was difficult to hear when rehearsing with a band. I tried a friend's Fender head and 410 cab because it was at our rehearsal space and it wasn't any better. I bought a used Ampeg BA500 and it has made a huge difference.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I might snag that BA300 for $250. It can get pretty loud for a 115 combo.
  9. Rusty2867

Thanks guys I have been leaning towards the Ampeg Ba115Hp I want something with a aux in or cd input,not sure if the Ba300 has that?
  10. davegt666

davegt666

I play in a hard rock band and thrash metal band using a Fender Rumble 350 2x10. I bought it about 4 years ago when it barely came out out. It's fairly well made and hasn't given me any problems. It's light weight and easy to transport because of the castors. It keeps up well with the guitarists I play with, they all use half stacks, and has a fairly good tone in a band mix. It's loud and definitely "rumbles" up the room. The DI is of good quality and is pretty noiseless for the most part. I have used it for recording and live situations.

It has served me well these past years for practices and gigs. It fits in the trunk of my Corolla! The only thing I wish it had was an extension for another cab.
  11. Rusty2867

12. Linnin

Linnin

You simply can not fault real life testimonials from real working musicians. Fender Rumbles haul the frieght year after year. Trouble free and sounds great doing it! :cool:
  13. DogBone

DogBone

I don't think the BA300 has a CD input, at least I don't see any on the internet pics.

But of course the BA115HP does have it.

[​IMG]