Looking at Peavey T-20 - trussrod question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

I'm going to look at a T-20 tomorrow.
    Just spoke to the guy and he said it needs a setup (high action "playable but uncomfortable") and that he hasn't been able to do it because he can't find a proper trussrod wrench. He said he's taken it to a shop and they didn't have one either. Are they really that uncommon?
    Any suggestions?
    If I can't find a wrench before then, I don't know if I'm comfortable buying a bass that I don't know if the rod is maxed out and if I'll be able to adjust the neck.
    Any suggestions?
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I believe many have had success with this one. I have a super ferrite fury, the reincarnation of the T20, and it was the only one that fit.

No. 6106, 5/8"
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Wrenches,_hex_keys/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

The one from allparts works on some peaveys, but the nut is too deep in the neck on others for this wrench. The stewmac one is a little pricier, but I can attest to its quality. This is pretty much me guessing, but I do know peaveys of this era had a 5/16" truss rod that took a socket, not an allen key, so I think Im pretty on point.

3. waterboy

waterboy Supporting Member

I have no experience with the stewmac tool listed above but I used an older SK 1/4" drive 5/16 deepwell socket when I had my T-40. It was a smidge snug, but it fit. You might see about finding a socket that'll fit.

Edit: It's also worth noting again that this was a T-40. I'm not sure if the T-20 is different or not.

4. ronin614

ronin614

Thanks for the input. Don't know if I'll be able to improvise something by tomorrow. MAYBE, if I can get the price low enough, I'll just take a shot and hope for the best. Probably not the best route to take.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Sounds like BS to me. What kind of "shop" wouldn't have the right truss rod tool for a Gibson guitar?

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I currently have an '81 T-40 and '83 T-20. Proper truss rod tools are not easy to come by. I've bought sockets from stores that would sometimes work, sometimes not. I bought the tool from Peavey. It doesn't work more than it does work. It's more experimental within parameters. The last piece that I used that worked was a 5/16 thin walled socket on a swivel.

HINT the T-20 has, or should have, the neck tilt adjustment. I've found that to be more for adjusting action than the truss rod or saddles. In fact, Peavey says the same thing in there owner's manual. The neck tilt (it's located on and through the neck plate) requires a simple 1/8 Allen (hex) tool. You may need to check for neck shims blocking the access. I had one like that, and it was set up by a "pro." Maybe not. Basic steps. Neck straight. Neck tilt. Saddle adjustment. All to taste. The neck tilt adjustment is frequently overlooked. It's like any other adjustment - trial and error. If you want to try this, here are the steps: Relieve string tension two steps. Loosen the two neck screws closet to the headstock one turn. Loosen the two remaining screws closet the bridge two turns. Then adjust the neck tilt. Clockwise lowers the strings. Reverse procedure. Good luck. :)

8. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Call Peavey. They will send you one of their truss rod wrenches for something like 10 bucks.