Looking for a 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Donald Cajonn, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

What's the best 6 string around, $1200 or under. I had a Yamaha TRB that was awesome, I've played some Ibanez basses. please share! thanks

2. El-Bob

El-Bob

What are you looking for in a 6 string? Sound, feel, scale length, electronics, controls, woods, etc. Give us some hints. You've got a very healthy budget and if you're a wise shopper, there's a plethora of great basses available new and used.

3. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

I'm a jazz player, and love funk and junk. but I'm looking for the low end for metal. Just looking for a tight, punchy bass with a tight b string. preferably a 3 band EQ at least. Wood is wood, I'm not anal. I would also like if the knobs weren't directly under the neck pup because it gets in the way when double thumbing the high string.

4. bassramos

bassramos Supporting Member

I gotta say after a fret file, my SX ursa 6 is awesome. I have Laklands fenders etc and it is great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. George M.

George M.

For a tight, punchy bass with a tight b string suitable for metal, I`d try a 35 inch scale bass.

7. 8liter

8liter Supporting Member

My Spector Legend 6 is a great bass. 35" scale, super tight B and lots of electronic upgrades available (if you feel like changing things up). The neck is probably my favorite part, honestly. I'm going to be holding on to that bass for a long, long time.

Check them out if you get a chance. Good luck!

8. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

For 1200, you could get a fairly no-frills Carvin made, or get one with more options used. Carvins have terrible resale value, which is a good thing for you.

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

Ibanez is a mahogany body with ovangkol top-Yamaha alder body with quilted maple top
    Ibanez sport three band equalizer with midfrequency control (250hz or 800hz) and on off switch-Yamaha sport three band equalizer
    Ibanez sport a 5 slice jatoba/bubinga/jatoba/bubinga/jatoba neck-Yamaha sport a 5 slice maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple
    neck
    Ibanez has a 16,5mm string spacing-Yamaha a 18mm string spacin'
    Ibanez sport Nordstrand BigSingles, with exposed polepieces-Yamaha sport proprietary soapbars

Both are made in Indonesia, both are around $. 900.00 if new

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. hgiles

hgiles

You're on the right track. If you like a wider spacing (slap/pop) then go for the Yamaha TRB (heavier). If you want narrow spacing for chord work go for the Ibanez SR (much lighter).

11. jlepre

jlepre

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If a tight low B is one of your biggest criteria I would strongly recommend Carvin unless you are buying used. I don't think you can get a B as good as Carvin's in that price range.

34" will still give you a tight low B, but once you get higher up the neck you will get overtones, the 35" will be less and in some cases almost all removed, but scale length has nothing to do with a tight and responsive open B, it just affects the higher frets. Carvin does has the XB which is 35".

The Carvin spacing is 16.5mm if that is a make or break factor for you.

13. El-Bob

El-Bob

Good suggestions so far. OP, based on your criteria I strongly recommend that you try an ESP/LTD, like the LTD B-1006. They don't get a lot of love around here for some reason, but they're incredible basses. Super modern hi-fi tone, versatile EQ, excellent fit and finish, and you can get crazy low action on them. Every LTD I've ever played (even the lower end models) have also had very tight and punchy B strings. I personally stopped using LTD's in favour of Warwick basses... but based on your description, I think you should at least give one a try and see what you think. Even their ~$500 offerings can compete with some of the other more expensive basses suggested in this thread.

14. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

thanks guys! No so into the Carvin body shapes or look. I'm going to check out the Spector and Ursa basses a little more in depth

Just played an Ibanez SR 6 today and the string spacing was fine for slap and double thumbing, had some tasty barts in it too. However harmonically it was hard to get a hold of, not sure if it was the hotness of the pups or whether they were just too close to the strings...

15. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

looking for something that isn't pretentious looking, I want the playing to stand out not the bass. Also looking for something with really even tone. I think the TRB bass is incredibly even and the highs sound amazing rolled up, but it's a little plain and generic sounding all around.

16. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

Have you tried a Peavey Cirrus?

17. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

Ibanez play really nice and feel amazing, but just dont sound like i want them to. Barts or Nordstrand?

18. MyMusic

MyMusic

I recently speced out a Carvin LB76 for $1100.

19. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Peavey Cirrus neck thru USA. Can be found for under 800.00 if you are patient