Looking for a back-up 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beardedclam, Apr 5, 2014.

1. beardedclam

beardedclam

My current giging bass is an American Standard 5 String Jazz. I like the bass, it is versatile and it works well for me. I like the string spacing (about 18.5mm).

I am looking for a good quality cost effective back-up bass that has the same bridge spacing, and the same nut width (1.875" / 47.6 mm)

Theses are the two basses I am considering:

- Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V: $329 at Musicians Freind
    - Vintage Modified Precision Bass V: $299 at Musicians Freind

Does anybody have any other good suggestions? I prefer passive, and it must match the string & nut dimensions mentioned above.

Also, I have heart that the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V is heavy (10 lbs +) is this true?

Thanks
  2. jojoslap

jojoslap

Musicians Friends has a couple used vintage modified jazz v for $270, seems like a good deal if they really are as good as what people say about them. I would like to play one just to see what they are like, I have an American standard jazz bass so I would be curious how it would compare. A used deluxe jazz v might be a good way to go to, I see used ones in the $500 range.
  3. beardedclam

beardedclam

I always thought that the used basses at Musicians Friend were returns, so I figure there must be something wrong with it if it is returned? Anybody ever buy a used bass at MF?
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Yup. It's hit or miss. If it's in good shape, then you're good to go. If it's not exactly as described or damaged in a way they didn't disclose, you can ship it back on their dime and you're not out any money.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beardedclam

beardedclam

So, do you think that people return them because they arrive poorly set up or is it more like warped necks or major playability issues?

I know this is the $64,000 question, just want to get everyone's oppinion
  7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

A bad setup and inability to set it up to ones own preference is the players problem.

What I meant is if they advertise a used bass with scratches and it shows up with a twisted neck, then you call and tell them and they email you a shipping label. It'll cost you some tape and gas money to the ups store if they didn't fully disclose those issues.
  8. beardedclam

beardedclam

I gotcha, thanks