Looking for a builder close to me

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hobobob, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Hey all, I have some questions for you. I've been designing a custom bass I want to commission in the somewhat-near future, and I would like to find a luthier that is within a few hours of me to build it if that's possible. I am aware of Wyn and Nordstrand, but I don't think either one would be willing to build what I have in mind. The bass I want would be a bolt-on 6 string (Wyn only does neck-thrus, and I don't know if Nordstrand does custom designs) that would hopefully include my favorite aspects of classic and modern basses.

This - [​IMG] is very close to what I want, but with a few differences - mine would have a wenge board, Nordstrand big splits, black Hipshot hardware, and would have an ash body with a translucent white finish and a tort guard.

I realize that a lot of builders tend to shy away from totally custom projects, and I totally understand why. I'm definitely willing to work with whoever takes the project on. If I had their level of expertise, I could just build it myself right?

In terms of budget, I have to set my limit at $3500. This probably narrows my choices, but that's why I'm asking you fine folks!

If anyone here wants to take my commission, or thinks they know of a builder who would, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!
  2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    I'm right near you, in Fillmore. I don't do custom builds myself anymore, but I build neck structures and do custom machining for other Luthiers around the LA area. So, I know almost all of the local guys.

I can recommend Keith Horne for your project. He's in Burbank, but he regularly runs back and forth up here to my shop. He can be reached at: keithhorne1@gmail.com
    Keith is right in the middle of moving his home this week, so he may be difficult to reach. But your project shouldn't be any problem for him. He does nice work, and his rates are very reasonable.
  3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Thanks so much! I'll definitely shoot him an inquiry.