1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for a compact road rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassfacer, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bassfacer

bassfacer

Hey ya'll. I currently have a nice 4x10 b2-r rig that's just getting too big to take on the road. I'm in the market for something a little smaller. Maybe a 2x10 or 2x12. I was thinking a combo would be more convenient for the road. I'm looking for basic features, EQ, maybe a compressor (not a dealbreaker). I'll be doing most of my tone sculpting from my sans amp DI so basics are fine with me. My budget is ~600. Maybe 900 for something really nice, but I'd like to not spend that much. Any suggestions?

2. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

tons of good stuff out there but for me, I'd skip the combos - a compact head and 1x12 or 2x10 cab gives you more options to expand if you need to. There are lots of threads about good small head/cab combinations if you do a search, all depends on the sound you are after.....

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What kind of music are you playing, and how loud do you need to be?

4. DogBone

DogBone

Keeping with your specific requirements it sounds like you should check out the Gallien Krueger MB series.

Probably on the high end of but certiainly within your budget - 210 and 212 models available.

Even a 410 combo if that's your thing!

No compression but on board limiters.

And lightweight.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-mb212-ii-500w-2x12-ultralight-bass-combo-amp

For more budget friendly options yet perfectly giggable (is that a word?) combos in general I like Ampeg's BA series and Peavey's Max series combos and would encourage anyone to check them out for smaller venue work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfacer

bassfacer

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I figure for most larger venues I can get a direct line so I'd really only be using the real power for smaller venues and on stage monitoring. I play in a proggy folk rock band... more on the rock side.

7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

In that case one of the GK combos might be fine - my brother (also a bass player) plays in a klezmer band and a jazz combo and uses a GK MB115. Nice little amp, easy to carry and pretty loud.