1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Looking for a custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteelTango, Nov 9, 2012.

1. SteelTango

SteelTango

Oct 29, 2012
    I am looking for a bass with string spacing similar to Alembic or Spectors Legend. I notice most are .75 with Spector Legend at .70 and some Alembic even less.
    What is the best way to get what I want made. The neck should not widen like many basses. I do have my original Fender Bass bought in 1960 and several others including a Spector Euro 5 string
    I now want a 4 string Any suggestions

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Spector Euro 4 string?

3. Sponsored by:

4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    US-made Kahler tremolo bridges let you set the string spacing insanely narrow.
    They are heavy, but you also get a whammy bar :)

5. SteelTango

SteelTango

Oct 29, 2012
    The Spector Euro 4 still have a wider spacing than the Korian models and Alembic is less that that. They are .75 I also have a Spector Rebop Nice bass but widens as you get to upper frets

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Rickenbacker 4003 is 17.5 mm (0.689 inches) at the bridge.

Hipshot makes an aftermarket 4 string bridge with 16.67 mm (.656 in) spacing:
    http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/4stgastyle.pdf

Kahler and Schaller also reputedly make adjustable-width bridges.

Fender Performers were reputed to have very narrow spacing though they are out of production now and I can't find documentation of any measurements or specs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Performer_Bass

I dug this info up because I also like tight string spacing, but a few minutes with Google and TalkBass search will give you a lot of information.

7. SteelTango

SteelTango

Oct 29, 2012
    Great info I will check out the bridges Any good custom builders out there. Not a real fan of Rick basses. I really like the sound of EMG pickup systems with Agular tone pump