1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looking for a deeper sounding 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JimiLL, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

So I have been running a GBE 1200 into a Genz 610XB2 cab, and I liked it quite a bit except for the somewhat weak lowend. I play a Spector Euro 5 and a Warwick Thumb BO5 through it, and have never gotten the bloom that I would have liked out of lower end.

Not long ago, I picked up a Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp, looking for different flavors. Through headphones, the pre amp sounded great, and was giving my basses the sound I thought they were missing.

So at practice the other night I ran the SVP through the GBE power section and into the cab. Well, it wasnt what I was expecting. The bloomy lows, ie 60-80 hz, were still lacking. This made me begin to wonder if my cab isnt a little more midrange inherent than I thought it would be.

So now, I may be on a cab quest again. I love the 6x10 layout, and I typically prefer 10" speakers.

Any considerations? Not too interested in a Fearful setup just yet, and I will definitely be looking to buy used.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

You might try the 610HLF, but I think you would have better luck with a 215. Also it will help to get past your hang up on driver diameter, it has nothing to do with how a cab sounds.

3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

If speaker size has so little to do with cab sound, why get past it?

But really, I never liked the scooped tendencies of 15's... the only 15 ive ever liked the sound of is the Mesa Diesel 115. I still want my mids, just some more bass.

And the 6x10hlf would be a step backwards, IMO. It may just be the thumb bass, Ill try my spector with that setup next week.

4. creis2

creis2

I thought the Genz was a low end monster.

Though I've never played them, nor am I into boomy bass, I would look into the Mesa 610. I hear the mesas are low end monsters. Or you could try their 412.

I would also consider (though you specified a 610) the Ampeg 410HLF. I've heard people way it was way too low, maybe what you're looking for?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jazzgalore

jazzgalore

I used to have a 4-10 biox and, along with it weighing a ton - I never did learn to love the sound. I sold it and got a a 2-10 box (with horn) and a 15 box. I love the sound now. Also use a SVP PRO with power amp to drive the boxes. It operates below 4 ohm altogether. It's a lot fuller with pleanty of high end. Just turn all the knobs to match the room. A lot more versatile.

7. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

It may be the bass....its no low end monster to begin with.

8. Kenner

Kenner

9. Kenner

Kenner

+1

10. Kenner

Kenner

I played one of my Alembics.....by no means a low end monster with everything flat.... ran from a Orange tube amp to the 610 Epifani.... I was way impressed with the ability of that cab to handle lows

11. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Probably a quick scan of the frequency response on manufacturers' web sites would get you there as well. Also, you can't compare a cab mix with headphones. Apples and oranges.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

IMO/IME, the best 2 610s for low end on the market are Mesa's PH610 and SWR's Goliath Sr, in that order...

- georgestrings

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Agreed with the 1st sentence, disagree with the 2nd - 15s are rarely "scooped" sounding...

Agreed with the last - the 610HLF would be a step backwards, and the Spector should be capable of plenty of low end...

- georgestrings

14. bobcruz

bobcruz

Eden 610XST (not the XLT).

15. sammyfallen

sammyfallen Supporting Member

Being a guy who owned a Benz 610 and used it with a variety of basses and heads. I personally never found the cab lacking in lows. It was the opposite actually, so I switched to a ampeg 810. I primarily rocked a us- fender jazz, and bassman 300 pro along with the benz. I'm voting your bass is the prob.

16. makohund

makohund

I play a couple of older Korean Spectors through a dual-woofer fEARful.

I highly doubt that bass is lacking in lows. If it is, there's something really wrong with it.

Mine easily get quite scary, and threaten walls. His should be capable of the same.

17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

18. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Efficient and loud in the low end, yup can't go wrong with that one.:bassist: