1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Looking for a fat dirty bass tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thebassplaya, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Hey guys, does anyone have any ideas to help me get a tone like this that will cut through in our live set but also have a good fat bottom end. Thanks in advance.

2. rratajski

rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What is your set up?
    How aggressive or clean do you want the tone?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. I like my bdpg in my highpass blend loop, big overdrive and ALL the low end.

5. Hey guys

I play both an American standard jazz 4 string and an American deluxe jazz 5 string through an Eden WT-405 time traveller head and two 4x10 Eden cabs.

I don't want a clean tone nor overly distorted. But I want it to be crunchy, dirty and cut through the mix. I play in a four piece with one guitarist so want the bass to be very prominent. Think karnivool, dead letter circus, Cog.

Thanks

6. I think so much of Jono, Stu and Luke's tone is the growl of their Warwick Thumbs... It's the bass for the Aussie prog rock sound.

That said, why not try a Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk... It's a great boost that just gives a hair of grit and a bit of a kick to your tone.

7. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    B. 7. K.

There, that should change your life pretty quick...

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    +1

9. Your amp setup is really clean. Eden's won't do a overdrive much at all when pushed. So an Ampeg or GK amp with bass boosted would be a good starting platform for the sound it seems you're going for.

10. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    WT-405's Warm Switch + Trim Pot & EQ to tast.

Or check out the Joyo Ultimate Drive thread.

11. I get something like what you're describing with an MXR bass overdrive. Also playing a jazz bass.

12. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Another vote for the Joyo Ultimate Drive.

13. Thanks guys for your advice!

14. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    VT Bass will do it too.

15. +1

16. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    Finland

+1

17. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    The Red Ripper pedal from Tech 21 was the answer for me.. I play passive Fender basses through GK,Eden,SWR,and Carvin heads. The Red Ripper lets me dial an array of dirty/crunchy/fuzzy tones,while keeping a focused foundation that definitely has no problem punching through any mix.