Looking for a fretless acoustic/electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Climer, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

I am beginning my search for a fretless acoustic/electric bass. I am curious to hear all y'alls opinions on this sort of beast, and why you like your suggested brand/model/etc. I play a 5-string electric now (and this A/E would be additional, not in replacement of the electric), so do like the extra range offered by it, but am not limiting my interest to only 5-string. Let the commentary begin!
  2. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

Depending on your budget, Rob Allen and Carvin come to mind. Unfortunately I have no experience with neither so other than throwing out those two brands, I'll be watching from the sideline. :smug:
  3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Low end? The Ibanez acoustic fretless ain't bad. 32" scale at around $200.
    ~$500-$700? The carvin ac40f is an outstanding bass.
    As for high end, I've never played one, but I've only ever heard good things about rob allens.
  4. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

While I initially didn't say anything about budget, I should probably say that I am one of those people that won't go for something just because it's the cheapest (Frugal?), but I also won't go for something just because it's the most expensive (Prestige?). I believe in good value for my $$$. I'd rather spend a little extra for something that's going to last, and be a good, consistent player rather than to be happy for an initial savings, only to be pissed off 6 months later that I now hold a piece of junk. On the flip side of that, I am not in to paying extra money for some name-brand, if there's something of acceptable/reasonable quality for fewer $$$.

With all of that said, this would not likely be my primary instrument, nor do I have a lot of expendable cash. So, something in the sub $500 range would be where I'll be looking. Again, if you have a suggestion, please tell me what you like about it.
  5. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

If you can find an ac40, it's hard to go wrong. Thin bodied with a very comfortable neck. If you have about $1200 to spend, you can order a new one custom.
  6. MD

MD

7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I thought I wanted an acoustic bass until after playing a bunch decided to sound decent they all required amplification , even in unplugged situations with acoustic guitars .

Now everyone is amping their acoustic guitars, I'll just use one of my electric basses , maybe my Rivoli semi acoustic at low volume .
  8. wardak

wardak Supporting Member

Ended up at the same conclusion TN did. The need for the amp took away the utility of acoustic, went for a hollow electric instead, having fun with that. Can't help you with the fretless part, but another angle for you to check out
  9. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

I am not thinking of this necessarily as an acoustic-only thing, where I'd then be "burdened" with amplifying to keep up with acoustic guitars (especially since I already have the amp available). I'm thinking of it more as another tonal option, where there are times that the electric just doesn't seem to fit the style of the music. Even if I set my knobs just right, and play differently, I can't get that same tone from my electric. Though, if the hollow-body electrics you have mentioned come close, that certainly may be worth checking out.
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

As a side note, I like using Rotosound black tapewounds on my Rivoli and keep tapes on one of my Fretless jazz as well for an uprightish tone . Highly suggest trying tape wounds if you haven 't. Many are digging the La Bella white tapes, but I haven 't tried them yet .
  11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of the typical large body ABG's, and each one I got tired of my arm having to reach around. I got to try both Rob Allen and Carvin AC40, perfect since you have to amplify anyway. So Carvin is what I'll get.
  12. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Ibanez is definitely good bang for your buck. They make good acoustics, and not just 'for the money'. Not sure if they do a fretless though.

The Warwick RockBass Aliens come in all sorts of configurations (4/5/6 string, fretted/fretless), have a good electronics package, and seem to be well-regarded. If I didn't stumble over my Ibanez ABG in a store for a steal, I'd have probably saved a bit more and gone for the Warwick.

[​IMG]
  13. bassteban

bassteban

I defretted a Washburn AB-20- nice for solo/bedroom noodling/practice, but w/the smallish body, it's useless as soon as anyone breathing enters the room. It is pretty feedback-resistant amplified
  14. jg919

jg919

Hi! My wife actually bought me a Warwick Alien Bass - fretless 4 - and it is AMAZING! The variety of tones from just moving your hand positions are endless - and it sounds beautiful when amplified, either through a Bass amp or direct! I cannot say enough great things about this instrument - GET ONE! :)
  15. lz4005

lz4005

I highly recommend looking for a used Godin A4 or A5. They're great quality and sound really good.

Full acoustic top, but no thicker than a normal electric. With the right strings and setup you can go from sounding very upright-like to jaco-ish just by changing the onboard EQ and where you put your right hand.