1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a funky old short scale...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Dec 18, 2013.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to pick up some kind of funky old short scale bass so I can string it with piccolo strings and have some fun.

With a budget of about $700, what are my options? I was thinking danelectro (I dig those old shorthorns) but I'm interested in hearing some others.

Thanks!
  2. JACink

JACink

I am wanting a Tele style short scale for my next piccolo.

Have you checked out the thread about dream short scale basses?
  3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Musicmaster?

I don't know what makes an ideal piccolo bass other than shortscale in general, but they certainly are old and funky.

There's a bunch on used.guitarcenter.com for between $500-$800.
  4. mazareth

mazareth

The Univox Hi-Flyer might be a good option. I see them going for $350-450 depending on their condition. They come with either two single coil or two humbuckers depending on the year they were made. The neck is a 3 piece laminate, so very stable.
  5. thisSNsucks

I don't know either lol I had considered a Musicmaster or Mustang, but I was thinking of going for something a little more out there.

Those are pretty cool, any idea on the scale length?
  6. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The hi flyers are shortscale.
  7. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Rickenbacker 3000 if you can find one.

[​IMG]
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Why shortscale?
  9. vdub75

vdub75

Why not? For Piccolo, this makes sense
  10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Hofner makes a short scale solid body (much like a Mustang/Musicmaster) that would work.

I don't recommend any hollow-body basses for piccolo tuning however.
  11. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

Are the shorthorns short scale? I thought they where all long scale. The Longhorn is short scale and i've owned 5 and everyone had a solid neck and played and sounded great.
  12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Must it be old?

Why not a Mustang or something like an Ibanez Artcore bass?
  13. msb

msb

Go for the Dano .
  14. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

I'm a little biased but I think the funkiest old short scale is the Danelectro Longhorn. If you decide to go Dano, get one of the Korean re-issues from the '90s. They sound good, are within your budget and avoid all of the inherent problems of the original design.
  15. thisSNsucks

The DC Shorthorn is long scale, but the older ones are short scale.
  16. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Are you thinking of going the Dano route? I still highly suggest a long horn. They are cheap to buy, have a very unique sound, play great if you know how to set them up,very comfortable sitting down and IMO built pretty tough regardless of the cheap materials that go into making them. Plus I also think they look cool. I had 5 of them and played Both Korean versions and the newer dead on 58s and IMO they are all just as good as the others in terms of tone and build quality. A lot of people think the newer ones or some how not as good but I have yet to see or play one that wasn't as well made as any of the other versions. I think the finish looks cheaper though and that's where some might get that idea from. Plus you get the truss rod at the head stock and don't need to remove the neck to adjust it.
  17. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

Brice HXB-405 Short Scale 5 String
  18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I've long contended that an ideal piccolo bass isn't short scale; based on my experiences, the best sounding piccolo basses were all long scale (34").
  19. lz4005

lz4005

The problem with going piccolo on the Korean reissues is setting the intonation with the one piece wooden bridge saddle. It works ok for standard tuning, but might not for an octave up.

OP: There were a lot of 'failed' short scale basses from the 80's that have a really weak low-end when tuned standard, but sound great up an octave. Have a look at the Hofner Shorty. The originals were 28" scale, the current reissues are 30". Kramer made some short scale basses with headless aluminum necks that you can get for well below your budget too. There was the Duke model, which was a Steinburger ripoff, and another one that was sort of Explorer shaped.
  20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

You can probably get a Gretsch Junior Jet for cheap. It's got the funky vibe.