Looking for a fuzz that ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Nov 19, 2012.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I am looking for an octave fuzz for indie rock. I currently have an FEA Labs Photon Fuzz, an Ampeg Scrambler, and an Iron Ether Oxide. They are all really great fuzzes, but none of them have quite what I am looking for. I also have a Frantone Lo-Tone. This fuzz covers the warmer "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" fuzz sound. The fuzz I am looking for will compliment the Frantone. The Scrambler is closest to what I want. The FEA is second. The Scrambler is has the soft, bouncy attack that I like. The overall octave fuzz sound is really great. It is just a little too woolly for me. The FEA labs is too tight and modern for my tastes. The Oxide is just too much for me. (I am not interested in gated fuzz.) I would say it is not smooth enough, if that makes sense. Ideally the new fuzz will be someting between the Photon and the Scrambler. It will have to fit a space currently occupied by the Photon.

If you are not familiar with the sound of an Ampeg Scrambler go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesUAa5LDxQ for a reivew of the Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant which is based on the Scrambler circuit. See http://www.fealabs.com/media/index.html#Photon_Fuzz for samples of the Photon fuzz.

2. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Have you looked into the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine or any of the varieties of the Malekko B:Assmaster pedals?

3. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    I would recommend a SuperFuzz variant. The Creepy Fingers Harakiri is incredible. Especially if you get Brad to make you a bass version.

4. BFunk

Thanks for the suggestions. I should also add that I am using this with a 4 or 5 string passive precision into a Fender TBP-1 and Fearful 15/6/1 cab. I would like the abilty to blend the clean signal, use hpf and lpf on the dirty signal. Having a mid emphasis control would be nice too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

I've been listening to demos all day. (Thanks top fuzzbass.com.) So far I like the Wounded Paw Attack Goat. Other suggestions along that line would be appreciated.

7. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Have you tried different pre fuzz filter settings with the Photon?

-Frank

8. BFunk

I appreciate that you checked in on this thread Fred. I have played with the dip switched and tone controls. I am not able to find a sound that really suites me. I am still working on it though. A couple of things that don't work for me with the Photon. First, I able to get an octave tone that I like. Second, it is a little too tight sounding to me. I am looking for something more organic and lively. (Sorry for the poor description. For me, talking about fuzz sound is like dancing about architecture.)

9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

If you like the wounded paw you should try the blackout effectors fix'd fuzz deluxe, ton of sounds, from hairy overdrive to compressed fuzz to blending the overdrive with the comprressed fuzz.

10. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Thanks for the info. I am always curious if people have actually tried the internal switches.:)

-Frank

11. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I read you want it a bit smoother. You should check out the Malekko Germanium B:Assmaster. It's not quite as harsh as the Silicon and doesn't have that speaker blowing volume jump. It's my understanding that the Germanium is retired now, but they do turn up.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Frank when is the next run of photon fuzzes?

13. bassbrad

bassbrad

Foxrox Octron or Octron 2? Variable octaves and sounds wicked on gtr or bass.

14. BFunk

I have an Octron. It sits silent on my shelf. Stupid me read that the Octron can take up to 18v. So I tried it. Oops!!! The Octron II takes up to 18v, not the Octron. Man, I miss that thing.

15. BFunk

I've been playing with the filters on the Photon fuzz. I think I am closer to what I want. I've set switches 1 and 5 on. The rest are off. Clean: LPF @ 1.6 kHz reduces harshness in the treble range. Dirt: HPF @ 110 Hz takes out some of the low-end boominess. 55Hz sounds better when I play alone in my bedroom, but I strongly suspect that 110 Hz will sound better in the band. I will know in a couple of weeks.

16. BassBrass

BassBrass

I've had an Attack Goat as my last fuzz (before rustybox or VT) for years now...not just for it's own perfect sound but what it adds to other pedals in the upper harmonics (it can get subtle with blend and drive down) I even use it after envelope follower. It seems to open up lower frequencies quite a bit too. Marvelous fuzz. (I never move the tone from far left, 7am, basically no mid cut) Used with an octave down it makes quite a low freq square-wave.

17. smllsnd/bigsnd

smllsnd/bigsnd

Disclosures:
    owner, smallsound/bigsound
  18. BFunk

What are the dimensions of the Malekko B:Assmaster?

19. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

4.75 X 5.75 X 1.5

20. BFunk

Took some measurements tonight. I could get that to work.

21. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

BYOC diveded octave has a fuzz fonction on it.
    Great pedal; it's got lineage. Look it up.