1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a good 4x10 Cab for Drop B tuning

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sevenle, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Sevenle

Sevenle

Hey Everybody,

This is my first post here and I am a pretty big noob when it comes to equipment, I play in an Epic Metal Band that plays in Drop D and Drop D. I am looking for a 4x10 Cabinet from AmericanMusicalSupply.com in the range of $400-$800. I have read that Ampeg makes a solid cabinet for lower tunings.

What company/cab would you recommend for full sound at such low tuning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

The Ampeg 410hlf goes deeper than anything out there.
  3. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

If you can find a used PR 410hlf from Ampeg, you'll have the deepest 410 you'd ever want. It's also very modern sounding in contrast with the SVT410hlf which has that very Ampeggy sound.
  4. Sevenle

Sevenle

what do you think of about the difference between the SVT series and the B Series? asides from the B series being $300 cheaper. and thanks for giving me your advice.
  5. Sevenle

Sevenle

also just noticed my OP says Drop D twice. It should also say Drop B
  6. Greevus

Greevus

Agree with Ampeg 410HLF. I have an 810 that I use primarily, and I have a 410HLF. 410 is a low end beast. It can take and produce some oomph. My band tunes BEAD and I was worried about it handling the B. No problem.
  7. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    This guy is playing Epic Metal, not reggae. Ya'll are advising him wrong. I have been playing in modern/prog metal bands in B since like '99. In this context the bassy-ass cabinets are for the noobs, and I speak from my own personal experience. You want serious low mids and midrange when you go into extended ranges, with sufficient (not overwhelming) low end.

Think about what is going on in the low frequencies (stuff below 100Hz) in Epic Metal... we have thunderous double bass and at least one guitarist who's also in B and wants to have the hugest most Epic guitar tone that he probably dialed in playing just by himself in his bedroom/garage. There is already going to be tons of low end. Throw a WHALE (e.g. the desired bass tone through an extra boomy/dark cab) into the middle of that and now no one can hear anything clearly. I've seen it almost every time I see a local metal band- out of everyone rockin' on stage the bassist who thinks it's their role to outboom everyone turns out to be the only one who no one can hear because they are emphasizing the essentially inaudible frequencies.

Low mids, midrange... that's how you get heard in a metal mix. 8x10 or some full stack size configuration helps too. Be the punchiest guy in the band.

What you want is an aggressive cab with a low mids bump and detail in the midrange, upper mids, highs. The best is anything by Mesa, then followed by most Ampeg-esque cabs :D For the price of a new mid-level quality cab you can get a top of the line cab used. Check GC used online and type Mesa Powerhouse. They have reasonable warranties on the used stuff and shipping is cheap.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

gospel truth!

you want grind and clarity to fight rumbly guitars and drums, not subby lows!

regular 10s, and lots of them, might be the ticket; a couple of 4x10 cabs, or even the ol' SVT cab, say.
  9. mr.black

mr.black

I'm using an EDEN 410xlt. and think its working for my sound. lots of POWER is key as well.
  10. Tractorr

Tractorr

+1

Go check out the video's of Meshuggah's drummer and bassist playing by themselves and there is a lot more mid range in the bassist's tone than lows. Even if you sound nothing like Meshuggah this is the way to get heard in a metal band.
  11. rpsands

rpsands

The only 4x10 I'd touch with a low B is the 410HLF, and even that's kinda meh.
  12. tdub0199

tdub0199

Ampeg 410HLF....
  13. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

The HLF is pretty meh. Not good for real metal. Stoner/Doom crap maybe.

I have a Genz Benz 610XB2 and it cuts HARD, with solid lowend
  14. Brocbass

Brocbass Supporting Member

Go to Avatar speakers website loads of power just call and talk them wat ur lookin for in tone