Looking for a good 5 string for studio work.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Lugo, Apr 4, 2014.

1. James Lugo

James Lugo

So I have a Nash P that I love and use a lot in my studio. I also have a lower end 5 string Ibenez with a pair of active Bartelini pups. It’s a nice bass and sounds ok but sometimes sounds a little on the cheap side. What I do like about it is it has a fatter, less character sound then the P. It sinks deeper into the track and blends into heavy guitars in a different way then the P. I like that sound. What I want is a bass similar to this but better.

I was in Nashville working last week and saw a bunch of bands and some of the bassists had such massive tone, less boink then a P, just big, fat and deep. One guy was playing a Lakland with 2 J Bass style pickups. Another guy had some sort of Yamaha with a pair of soap bas pickups.

Not sure if what I’m saying makes sense, it’s the only way I can describe it. So I’m looking for a killer 5 string for modern rock. Maybe Lakland? Yamaha? Warwick?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  2. metalhead398

metalhead398

Are you a session bassist or in a band?
  3. James Lugo

James Lugo

I'm a producer, studio owner and bass player. So it's for me and also the many guys who track at my studio.
  4. generation zero

generation zero Supporting Member

PRS Grainger 5. My Fender American Deluxe Jazz V is a close second, at a little over half the price... But I won't ever step foot into a studio again without my Grainger. It does it all, and does it well. I paid right at 3500 for mine, but if you don't care about the extra fancy ten top option, you can save 500 right off the top... Maybe a few hundred more even if you get one online and bypass the sales tax. I've seen a few non-ten top 5s for 2800ish... Which is a far more reasonable price.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Yamaha BB Series.

I have no clue why anyone would bother with a Fender. They are toys.

:eek:
  7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Ibanez sr1605 or Musicman Stingray 5h.
  8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

Music Man comes to mind
  9. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

It's easy to get a good studio 5 string tone, on a Yamaha. I've only experienced this for myself a handful of times, but I've read quite a few good reviews on the subject.
  10. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

Hello James,

I have a JCR Custom, it is made in Spain by Jaume Catalan Redindo, he is a Luthier from Valencia at the south of Spain. Any way the bass is posted on the classifieds, it looks like the body is one piece but actually is Mahogany with a Koa top.

Here is the link for the luthier's website

Also I have a sound clip if you are interested, the bass has an amazing low end and incredible mid range to cut thru the mix live or on a recording. The reason I am selling it is because I already have the Jazz department cover with my Fodera NYC 5 and have a low quality fretless so I am planning to order a JCR FL.

Javi
  11. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

By the way your PM inbox is not working.
  12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Exactly!

Yamaha BB >> REDDI >> Hit Record.
  13. generation zero

generation zero Supporting Member

I used to feel the same way about Fenders, but this Am Dlx is quickly changing my mind. Nowhere near the PRS in the "does it all" category, but what it does, it does rather well. I bought it as a backup for live use, but I think it may battle the PRS for "main" status... At least for the stuff that calls for a more raw, edgier tone. Between the two, I will definitely have all the basses covered. (Bad pun intended... LOL!)
  14. James Lugo

James Lugo

I see a wide range of the BB series. Any of them in particular?
  15. 20db pad

20db pad

I'd look into a Sadowsky Metro, either a RV5/MV5 or a RS-24/MS-24.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha TRB5P-II.
  17. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

[​IMG]

BBNE2

[​IMG]

BB2025X

[​IMG]

My Favorite:

The Original BB5000

[​IMG]
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Rob LoPrinzi will make you a great 5
  19. metalhead398

metalhead398

In that case, probably stick with the P. Easier to play with the sound and get it perfect for whatever you're recording.
  20. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Fender's are so DULL.
  21. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    I'd humbly suggest something passive (you have better preamps at the end of the cord) with a pair J-style pickups. Add as series/parallel switch to it and you can cover a wide spectrum.

good luck!