1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a good bass lesson dvd to buy...advice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bdh2991, Nov 28, 2013.

1. bdh2991

bdh2991

I've been playing bass on and off since i was about 12 years old (21 now), but in the past six months i've started to get a lot more serious about my playing. I'm more focused on praise and worship/gospel music. Any advice on a good instructional dvd for bass playing? Nothing too basic, i know my scales and most basic theory, I've already gone through Victor Wooten's groove workshop dvd about 5 times. Any advice on books for bass would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
  2. GastonD

GastonD

Norm Stockton's material (DVDs and his artofgroove website) is very well done, and he specifically addresses some of the topics relating to gospel/worship bass.
  3. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Roy Vogt's TMBG series is very well done - Check it out if you haven't already
  4. fearceol

fearceol

5. deckard

deckard

I highly recommend 6-string bass guitarist Todd Johnson's "Technique Builders" DVD for bass guitar - he uses a 4-string bass on the whole DVD, so don't worry that it might be for 6-string only. ;)

I've had it for years and still go back and watch it and pick up nuances and/or refine/relearn something each time.

I don't know if he sells the DVD on his website anymore - looks like maybe just the download version there, but it looks like you can get the DVD from individual sellers on Amazon (maybe eBay, too?).

BassBooks.com has it available with the book that goes with it - I have just the DVD and never saw any need for the book myself, but that's JMHO.

It is the only "physical technique-specific" DVD for bass guitar I'm aware of & includes:

•Right and left hand ergonomics
    •Floating thumb technique
    •Right hand muting
    •Shifting
    •Supportive fingering
    •Hammer ons & pull offs
    •String skipping
    •Ghost notes

YMMV
  6. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

I'm a fan of that series but considering the amount of time he's been playing, the majority of it will probably be too elementary.

All-in-one series/methods seem to be available for beginners but after that it seems to take a combination of books/videos that are usually geared to a specific area to make progress.

You really have to try to access your skills and needs which can be a difficult task for the self taught. Find what you can't do and zero in on why. Go from there.
  7. K2000

K2000 Supporting Member

There's some Bass intructional DVDs on Netflix, if you wanna watch and not purchase.

The Rufus Reid "The Evolving Bassist" is a nice DVD - I don't know if it's one you need to own, it's more of a "watch once, take in his wisdom, maybe some day you'll watch it again" DVD. It's about the philosophy of playing bass, the role of bassists, etc. The book (which is totally different) is an all-time classic instructional book -- all lessons.