1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a good Hi-Fi cab for a Mesa M9 Carbine

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MarTONEbass, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I'm looking for a good mid-priced cab to pair with my M9. I'm thinking 4x10 (or 2- 2x10s), but I could also be swayed by a fEARful as well. I'm looking for a more hi-fi, even tone, and not a very mid-forward rock tone. It has to have a tweeter or mid driver. Weight is not a huge concern, but light is nice. I know the low end on the M9 is a bit wide, but I do like a tight low end with some low-mid punch, so it could be a concern with an Epifani UL410 or a fEARful. Can the M9 be EQd to tighten the low end on cabs like that? Not interested in adding an LPF or other contraption, I like to keep it as simple as possible. Fire away and thanks!
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I love the Mesa PH cabinets. I find them to be very detailed across the frequency range with the fancy crossover and tweeter controls in them. They have a general low mids rock voicing and slight scoop around the mids, but are pretty big and unrestrained on the bottom end (but huge sounding as a result).

The smaller cabs (1x12, 2x10) are tighter and more hifi to my ears, ratio of speakers to tweeter IMO. What style are you playing? If you are a jazz guy the PH line probably is too big and aggressive sounding.
  3. MarTONEbass

I'm currently playing in a Phish tribute band as well as some rock, funk, R&B covers. I like a really clean sound.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Seriously you should check out a fEARful or fEARless. May be your cupotea... May not be.
  5. MarTONEbass

The price is what is keeping me away from a fEARful. A bit more than I want to spend ATM.
  6. CL400Peavey

I understand the cabs are not budget cabs. I do find a lot of irony in running a $1500 amp through a budget cab, seeing as the cab is probably more important regarding tone.

If you have the amp in your possession I would find a fEARful user near you. Try one out and see for yourself.
  7. rpsands

rpsands

There is no such thing as a hifi conventional 4x10 or 2x12.
  8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

9. CL400Peavey

A very good option as far as tone goes. Personally I would be looking at an 8 Ohm cab so I could add to it if needed.
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO, with that particular head, the stock fEARFul 15/6 or 1515/66 is worth the OP saving his pennies for. The wide open, zero hi passes, MASSIVE low end of the M9 will bring most other cabs to their knees. The large box and the 3015LF driver used in the fEARFul just matches beautifully to bring the most performance out of that head. And, with the M9, the 8ohm impedance is actually a good thing with the 15/6 (or the 4ohm with the 1515/66). Really matches the mechanical capability of the cab/drivers to the massive, massive output of the M9 (and even the M6).

Tonally, it is very deep and VERY aggressive in the upper mids. Not my thing. However, given that the OP bought this very bright and massively low end extended head, I would think that a cab that would actually make use of that would be a positive. A 15/6 is just stunning with that head, again, if that 'super goosed' tone profile is your thing.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

As much as I LOVE my TC115 (Arnopol build), that cab would not in any way be able to use the massive wattage and HUGE low end output of the M9.

I would, of course, suggest dumping the M9, getting a nice micro head that puts out a good honest 500 watts, and getting the Thunderchild 212 (the 115 is no longer available). But, that is me:p For one who loves the raw, massive wump and ridiculous brightness/aggressive top end of the M9, the 15/6 cabs (LDS, fEArful... pick your poison!) is the only thing I've played with that head (or the M6) that can really take the inherent voicing of those heads at high volumes.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Totally disagree. To provide just one example, playing a CD through my Bergantino AE212 (an uber quality but relatively conventional 212) sounds WAY more like my home stereo (with my relatively neutral Markbass head) than through my fEARful 15/6.
  13. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I would actually go Fearless, more restrained deep lows and a sweeter mid driver. He said he isn't looking for a mid-forward rock tone, so I think the fEARful with his head would be sort of counter-productive. For a slightly more affordable option, check the AX115 by LoPhat. 3 way, but it uses a faital woofer and mid so the lows aren't as massive and unrestrained as a fEARful and the hi-mids are much sweeter and less goosed. Sounds a little more like a conventional cab, with the added clarity and dispersion of a 3-way design.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

To me, the fEARFuls are among the least mid forward cabs on the market. Virtually no bump at all in the low mids or the mid mids, resulting in the cab sounding scooped to my ears with a relatively neutral input source. Yes, there is a pretty big hump and rise from 2K up, which I personally dislike a lot, but that is kind of the same vibe as the M9 (and the M9 has that nice graphic that can smooth the top end).

The reputation of the fEARful cabs as having 'lots of mids' is misleading. The fEARful cabs have lots of UPPER mids compared to many other cabs, which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

However, the key to me is that the 3015LF driver is one of the few I've experienced that can actually take the low end output of the M6/M9, which uses absolutely no hi passing or low end control circuity at all. Most other cabs will fart out at high volumes. Of course, that is mostly the 'fault' of the Mesa head, but if you really like that massive sub-bass sort of thing, the fEARful or LDS 15/6 builds will handle it.
  15. Hobobob

^I believe this guy, he's owned and demo'ed almost as many cabs as Tom Bowlus :cool:
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D A lot is opinion, of course, and we all hear things differently. I'm not one that recommends fEARFuls or LDS 15/6's for every situation, but man, if I owned and loved an M9, I'd be gigging a 15/6.:bassist: Stunning if you are one into that 'more of everything' sort of tone... massive lows, aggressive highs, etc. Pretty darn impressive.

Regarding the hi fi issue, that is a pretty generic term that means different things to different people. As we use that term on TB, it typically means a clean, open low end, a smooth, relaxed and even dipped upper mid response, and a clean sparkle up top. Many cabs can deliver that tone profile IMO and IME. Of course, every cab sounds different, and there are many versions of what most would call a hi fi tone.
  17. Hobobob

I totally understand where you're at. This goes back to the "everyone has a different definition" thing. I was thinking that the combo of Mesa hi-mid aggro+fEARful hi-mid presence might put the OP off.
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 That would be a hi mid grindy beast of a rig.

With the M6, that could be hard to control, but with the nice extra EQ (that graphic eq) of the M9, I found I could get quite a bit of smoothing and punch out of that rig, along with an ungodly amount of clean low end. Again, not my thing, but it is impressive as heck.
  19. Hobobob

In a heavier band, that would probably annihilate.
  20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I use an LDS 15/6 under my M9. Beautiful. Low. Exquisitely defined. Maaaassive low end if you dial it in.....or tight and controlled if you want it. I'd go with that or a fEarful 15/6.