Looking for a luthier

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stan Stewart, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Stan Stewart

Stan Stewart

I have a 1957 Fender Precision bass that has not been played since 1978. It has been all over the world. Still in it's original case which is travel worn but serviceable. I played this bass while in the Air Force and when I retired from the Air Force it also retired from the music business. It has been waiting all those years for me to bring it out of it's case. It looks good, the action is good but there is a horrible growl when I plug it into the amp. I'm not a technician but I understand the components that could be causing the problem. I'm not going to attempt to fix the problem. I love this thing too much to screw it up. Sorry about the long preamble. I'm looking for a very good technician, preferably a certified luthier, to bring this back to life. I live in northeastern North Carolina just south of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Any advice out there?
  2. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts its the jack needing replacement. I bought a bass last week that has a similar issue, it cost about $25 to have a tech diagnose it and put in a new jack.

I know that I didn't give you a name, but I'd bet you thats the problem... we all get cranky with too much sitting' around, and that includes basses...
  3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Pics man pics!
  4. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    No pics, no growl
  5. hotbass57

hotbass57

u can pick up a nice switchcraft 1/4 input at radio shack. It's only a couple wires to soder, 10 minute job. If you have a music store close they can do it, it's a cheap fix.
  6. Gluvhand

Gluvhand

It's a 57! Let's not be so quick to rip it out and replace it. Might just need a good cleaning.
  7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

RadioShack sells Switchcraft jacks?
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nope, Radioshack sells a cheapo 1/4" jack that does not hold the plug very well and has a tendency to be noisy.

Your problem sounds more like the pots need a good cleaning than the output jack being bad, though I would have that cleaned as well.
  9. john m

john m Supporting Member

If it worked when you put it away, it will still work.

Clean the contact area with DEOXIT.

Pots will also need to be cleaned and lubed.

Hopefully, the pickups did not de-mag.

If they did, they can made magnetic again by a pro.

Keep it original... please post pics.
  10. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Yeah don't replace a thing unless absolutely necessary.
    Also I wouldn't trust any old tech/luthier, in fact there's only a hand full of folks world wide that I'd be ok with leaving that bass with.

It has nothing to do with the difficulty of the job at hand but everything to do with the bass's value.
  11. petrus61

I was kinda sorta being sarcastic;)

Wouldn't it be nice if RadioShack stocked all the goodies? CTS, Sprague, Switchcraft, Gavitt, etc?

You'd be hard pressed to find a single 250kA pot there. BUT...they do sell good quality switches for literally pennies on the dollar for what the crooks at Allparts, StewMac and almost every other MI vendor charge for the same exact brands.
  12. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

A 57? After this many years it deserves the best luthier you can find, one with vintage Fender experience. You do not want somebody replacing vintage parts, or even desoldering original factory connections.

If you can't find anyone locally, consider shipping it out.

Or you could just sell it to me, I'll pick it up.
  13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Where exactly in coastal NC are you? For the work you've described, haul it up to TBer walterw at Alpha Music for the once-over and repairs. If time is tight, I can meet you at the VA / NC border (Rt 17, Rt 168/158, whatever) and drop her off. He does the heavy-duty stuff on my gear.

Riis
  14. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

+1
    open it up and take a look at the contact point on the jack. very likely just a little spot of oxidation or crud causing a poor connection. Put a cable into it while the jack is outside the bass and you'll see the exact contact point that counts. very light touch of sandpaper or deoxit will do the trick.
  15. Hopkins

I know you were being sarcastic, my post was more directed at the post you were quoting. Radio Shack switches are fine if you only need an ON/OFF or ON/OFF/ON DPDT. IF you need an ON/ON/ON you are still out of luck at the Shack.
  16. petrus61

True. On/On/On are probably the most useful for a lot of our needs. I recently grabbed a few 6pos Alpha make before break rotary switches in the disco bin for $1.75 each...$12-$15 through most MI vendors online. It will be a sad day if RS ever does away with their storefront component offerings. They still carry the most common bass cap values and resistors plus very good solder, hookup wire and Weller/RS irons and bits.
  17. Hopkins

The Radio Shacks around here don't sell tips for my Weller iron. I do buy hookup wire, caps, and solder from them though.
  18. john m

john m Supporting Member

As Judge Judy says------ no evidence----- it doesn't exist.

Pics?
  19. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I think it's a troll.
  20. Stan Stewart

Stan Stewart

Amen Samantha. Lot's of good thoughts but I need a recommendation for a "very good" luthier. If I have to ship it off I will but if I knew someone within 2 or 3 hundred miles I would take it there.