Looking for a new 4-string bass with 35" scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankthetank727, Mar 4, 2014.

1. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

Hello, I am in somewhat of a predicament. I currently have a 4 string bass that is a 35" scale. I play in C-Standard tuning with string gauges .050 .070 .095 .115 (which are comfortable to me and I like them). I am now looking into getting a nicer 4 string, likely something custom.

I started to explore Carvin again (I already own a 6 string fretless of theirs) because I like their instruments, and I found a great bass in terms of everything I like, however, they cannot do a 35" scale vesion of it no matter what -- they only do their 4 string bass in 34" scales.

So, I want to pose two questions. 1) How bad would the jump be going from 35" to 34" and how much of a change in tension would I notice/how much thicker strings would I need to use? 2) is it really worth to go down the inch if I'm comfortable with that scale? Because I like Carvin's stuff, but I am just unsure of what move to make.

If anybody knows of other custom options that offer a 4-string in 35" scale that I can explore and that would be around $2,000 or less, that would be awesome! Thanks!

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Offhand I would say Spector Euro 35LXTW or something along those lines. Not sure of the exact name of the model. Also look at Circle K strings for low tunings.

3. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

Spectors are still pretty pricey (I just went through the pricelist) unless I get like the lowest grade Korean made ones. Also, I'm not sure if they offer custom shop work. And I don't need Circle K strings because I'm not tuning THAT low. I feel like you would only need those if you're going down below B or something.

4. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

If you are used to 35" scale and it's no problem, then you will barely notice the switch to 34" scale.

IMHO, you are overthinking this. Go try some out in stores or just go buy a 34".

Lakland makes great 35" scale basses if you want to stay with that. Go with the American series if the price works for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

I'm sure you are right. I tend to do that.

But i'm not necessarily worried about the feel in terms of how long it is, I'm just more concerned about tension and handling the tuning, that's all. I've played 34" ones and I actually have a 34" bass at home (but it's one I do not like and do not want to play) but have not tried using it in a lower tuning, nor do I want to really waste money setting it up for that tuning if I know i will never use it.

I guess I was really just trying to figure out if I would be able to attain similar tension by switching to the smaller scale.

7. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Halo makes custom basses, and has an option for 35" scales. Depending on what other options you choose, it could well come in under $2k.

8. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

You might lose a little bit of tension, but it isn't going to be worlds apart from what you are used to. If you notice a change you can't live with, then bump your string gauge up to something like 0.055-0.120 and you'll be right back in the same ball park.

35"-34" is a bit of a change, but it isn't like you're planning on going from XL scale to short scale.

9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

I don't know if you can get any of these new anymore, but the Peavey Cirrus and Grind are
    quality build 35" scales, as are the Daion Power Mark X and XX basses. I cannot speak for the Peaveys, but the Daions are fine instruments. I use them in both E-standard tuning (.040 - .100) and D-standard (.045 - .105). I do not notice string tension when I am playing; too busy concentrating on other things.

I know Daions have been out of production for almost thirty years (Peaveys . . . ?), but last I looked there was a XX on eBay.

10. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

Those Daions look awesome...

11. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I'm currently paying of a Daion Power Mark XX-B at the local(ish) vintage store. I go in and play it from time to time, and while I haven't experimented with alternate tunings, I do have to say that it's a sweet-sounding guitar. It's a string-through-body bridge, though, if that makes a difference to you.

12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Roscoes start at about $2250.
    It's worth it...
    'Should' be less used but the fact is - I have never actually seen a 4-string Roscoe ...
    I think it'd be easier moving to 34" from 35" than going up - less stretch you can get used to ;-) There are many 34's with good low-B - or maybe I've just been lucky...

13. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

You can always get a long-scale 4 string Dingwall. 34-36.25"

14. Locky66

Locky66

15. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

If you're worried about tension on a 34" scale... don't.
    My 5er is a 34" scale and easily handles a low B. Remember that tension is in the string, and an inch of scale length isn't a huge difference either way.

Oh, and you need circle K no matter what ;)

16. MrTaff

MrTaff

+1, I'm tuned down to A on 34" without any issues, C will be fine.

17. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

That's awesome! That makes me feel better, thanks everybody