1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a new amp (bassman vibes)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Feb 13, 2014.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Hey everyone, this is my second thread in about as many weeks as I look to remedy my bass tone. Its been a long time since I particularly cared about my tone being heard as I wanted and longer since I've used an amp live for any stretch of time. My current group is a 3 piece which is quite different than the large groups I've been playing with for the past few years.

I posted in this thread trying to tighten up my bass tone:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/looking-tighten-up-my-bass-tone-pedal-help-1051129/

And found a good chunk of what I needed in getting a good EQ pedal but I've demo'd my sound with a bunch of amp heads and I just don't like the way the Markbass head sounds. I have to do a lot of tweaking just to get sorta happy with where I want to be. The best head I demo'd everything in front of was a Bassman 135. I didn't need to use my EQ with tone controls set flat.

My current set up:
    -Fender P-bass with P-Retro tone circuit, sometimes just a passive P-bass
    -MXR 10 band EQ
    -Green Rhino Distortion pedal
    -Markbass LMII
    -Aguilar GS210 cab

My current requirements:
    -Durable (this will be going on NYC public trans)
    -Relatively simple
    -Under 25lbs
    -Not prohibitively expensive (under $750 used)

Amps that I've owned and have really liked the sound of but have gotten rid of for one reason or another:
    -Mesa Boogie 400+ (too big/heavy/and not much range between quiet and skull shatteringly loud)
    -1966 Fender Bassman blackface (great sound, dumped it because it wasn't loud enough and I needed money)
    -Ampeg B18 (couldn't justify this monetarily as an apartment piece)
    -Aguilar AG500 dual channel (traded this for the MB, not sure if it was the right choice)
    -Ampeg B25B (wasn't headroom and only sounded good with certain cabs)

If you haven't guessed it, I'm into that vintage vibe. :p
  2. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

3. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Maybe talk to this guy?
    Oop! Missed the 25# requirement and the NYC public trans issue.
  4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Yeah. If I really wanted to I could just wait for an old used tube bassman or aguilar ag500 to pop up but I'm looking for something that doesn't have a lot of tubes and isn't another ag500.

Thanks for the rumble suggestion but I don't like the way it sounds, even in a YouTube video.

Another option might be the alembic f1x and f2b preamp. I haven't played through either but I hear it also has the bassman tone circuit.
  5. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Supporting Member

The Hartke LH500 and LH1000 are supposed to channel the Bassman sounds and have a similar tone stack.

The Aguilar Tone Hammer models might be right down your alley, as well.
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Maybe your cab is keeping you from tightening your sound. The Aguilar GS cabs are notoriously "loose" in the lows. For some,this is a great thing, for others, a curse.
  7. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Perhaps a Genz Steamliner 900. You'd probably need to find a used one at this point.

I owned a pristine, all original Fender PA135 for a brief period. The streamliner reminds me of that sound. IMO, YMMV...