Looking For A New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jmclearnon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Firstly thanks for the great forum, and for the advice that you guys will give.

Bass-ically i am looking to buy a high end amp.

I have been gradually upgrading all of my equipment over the last few years (as i'm a student, it takes a while :().

quick bit of context...

.Been playing bass for a while
    .Have a crappy Behringer 15" which is terrible
    .Have a radial DI (mostly just plug right into the PA as most of the amps at venues are pretty terrible)
    .Finally got enough money to buy an amp
    .would like to buy an amp that is NOT ridiculously heavy/hard to move around.
    .got about £2K GBP to spend
    .oh nearly forgot, i mostly play jazz music with 5/6 basses +play cello live alot (with DPA mic! btw would recommend to anyone who plays cello), also play church music, at shows etc. . .

I have been looking for a while researching which amps to buy. I would just like some advice about what would fit well together. I'm interested in the TH500 and MoMark on the head side of things but when it comes to cabs, and living in the UK (cant get everything at a shop to try beside each other...) i would like some help.

Current ideas floating in my head are:

.Momark with 2x10 traveler cabs + 1x15" cab (all markbass)
    .Hartke Hydrive stuff . . . ?
    .Aguilar TH500 with 1x12" 1x12" Bergantino cabs/aguilar cabs?
    .The markbass with Berg cabs?
    .Markbass LMII with 4x10? (even though it is very large)/2x2x10"

as i said it needs to be portable and i'm worrying about the fact i won't be able to try all the heads/cabs together due to crappy shops over here. Tbh i don't really need to be above 500 watts i would just like the idea of 2 cabs to give me a more full sound.

anyways ^ is the start of my rant lol, thanks for spending time to read it and hope to hear your suggestions!

Jonny

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would be checking out Barefaced Bass stuff quite honestly. IMHO they make all the cabs you have listed look like toys.

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

I like the MarkBass LM II head, have been using it for a year and I double standup and slab. Speakers though aren't as easy. Have two 2x12, Eden and Avatar, and a 4x10 as well, but for probably 1/3 of the venues, I could go with half the speaker power and I usually take a single cab.

I am looking at single 12" or 2x10 cabs, in the less than 30 lb range, 8 ohms, speakon cable connect and have tried Aguilar, MarkBass, GK Neo. Haven't decided yet myself, the porting on most cabs makes it sound good on the big boy and not the ebg or the other way around.

Best of luck in your quest.

4. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Markbass Little Mark III (not II).

GK NEO 115-III (get 2 of them for 4ohms, but even 1 is enough and really light and portable)

Prepare for a bunch of Barefaced and fearless gushing...but you'll get great tone and power out of the above at a reasonable price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

i've never heard the GK NEO cabs, i don't think i would like the idea of 2 15" cabs. . .

I think it might be a bit overkill, BTW never heard of Barefaced bass

7. Alexander

Alexander

Not sure where you are, but if you can get up to Warwick, BassDirect is a great little bass shop full of higher end gear. I bought my Bergantino NV412 there. Best selection I saw while I was in the UK. I love Berg cabs and find they sound good with a variety of heads, but to each their own...

8. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Yeah i'm actually living in Chelmsford this year, after a bit of research i saw that place in warwick so i might pop in.

There deosn't seem to be many people in the UK that supply Berg cabs

9. Low Sound Love

Low Sound Love

I am extremely happy with my TH500, it is light, powerful and versatile. IMO it's the best bang/buck amp out there. Pair it with two SL112 cabs and you're set.

10. murphy

murphy

Bergantino are not widely available here...one dealer

But as you are in UK, Alex at Barefaced cabs can fix you up.

http://barefacedbass.com/

Markbass heads MO mark or LMII or III, SA450 etc are great choices

11. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

has anyone used the Barefaced cabs ??

12. Alexander

Alexander

They've got really good selection and great service. When I was there, he had a decent variety of Berg cabs. I can't recommend them highly enough.

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do a little research here and on their web site. In the UK they are one of your best options for cabs. As an example their Big Twin weighs 55 pounds, and has the volume potential of a 610, but will kill any 610 in the low end.

14. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Looked them up just before lunch, read some of the articles the dude has written for BGM and what he has to say is very interesting. I'll probably have to give him an email and see what he thinks about what i need :)