1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BTB5SFS, Dec 23, 2012.

1. BTB5SFS

BTB5SFS

Hello,
    I have a couple thousand to spend and am looking for a new bass. I already have an Ibanez BTB 5 string and a 5 string Lakland. I have been looking at a new 2012 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass Natural Maple Fretboard 4 string and also a used MODULUS Q5. Both basses come with nice hardshell cases and are about the same price. I want to find a GREAT BASS but am not sure which direction to go. Opinions please:help:
  2. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Lot of folks love that Q5. I have a Q4 and I'd love to try one.
  3. pica

pica Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with an American Fender.
  4. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    A Sadowsky. If you are leaning toward the Fender, then the Sadowsky is really it. My two pennies...
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have a 2011 American Jazz Deluxe with rosewood fretboard and love the way it sounds and plays. The only issue is that I sometimes get more noise than I would like when it is in active mode. They usually retail for around $1600 to $1,700
  6. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

Go to the Carvin website and look around.

Go to the Clement website and look around.

:bag:
  7. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass

Ever try a Lakland J bass , or Valenti, or Nordy? I do like the Valenti most of all frankly, with the bigger 35" board of the Lakland a close 2nd.So, in the J bass world,m there are multiple options, and I think you can beat the Fender Am price and construction in that heavily competitive market.( BTW, I have always liked the Geddy Lee fit and sound and tis less than am Am Strd.) ) But you must try a few, and NOT go on anyone's opinon but your own. ( I tried the Sadowsky since all the "holy grail" talk here and I sold it in days - so...? )

Jazz bass and Modulus are two different animals, yes?
  8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I love my Geddy Lee, too. I have a couple Roscoe's on the way, but I may keep the Geddy around. Best playing and sounding jazz bass I have tried - including many that were 3 times the price.
  9. BTB5SFS

BTB5SFS

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I am tyring to figure out which direction to go in and just trying to get a little background info. I cannot try anything out right now as I am and will be in Afghanistan until February. I have been looking at the Modulus Q5 or a Fender American Deluxe 4 string. I realize that they are two different beasts and as of now I can only dream about what bass to get (until February that is). Thanks again peeps.