looking for a new book

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by b_ryceeeee, Jan 15, 2013.

1. b_ryceeeee

b_ryceeeee

hey, guys so far i've finished the ed friedland bass book method 1-3 and i learned alot from it. Right now im working with berklee's "chord studies for electric bass" and "reading contemporary bass". i was looking in to getting "standing in the shadows of motown" or oscar stagnaro's "latin bass book".
  2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Eds, Standing in the Shadow of the Blues, is a great book, as is his Walking bass book.
    For me any book on Latin is always worth reading, as are any books on Polyrhythms...that will help your Latin understanding.
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Jumping into generic stuff, i.e. not bass specific.

I found Pentatonic KHANcepts by Steve Khan opened a few doors for me. Over chord, so and so, what scales, modes, and or pentatonic scales are open to me.

I also enjoy looking at what is available in the Jamey Aebersold Jazz catalog, aka www.jazzbooks.com

How to play the piano despite years of lessons by Ward Cannel and Fred Marx is chuck full of useful tid-bits of information. Yes, it's for the piano, however, it is a great theory read.

How to play from a fake book by Michael Esterowitz. Treble and bass clef notation. I found the bass clef information to have value.

Have fun.
  4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Well are you more interested in Latin or Motown R&B?
  5. amablkm

amablkm

Bass Fretboard Basics by Paul Farnen
    Bass Aerobics by John Liebman
  6. b_ryceeeee

b_ryceeeee

im kind of leaning toward motown. but i never really dug deep in to both styles or spent alot of time learning it
  7. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    I really enjoyed Victor Wooten's book The Music Lesson.

More of an overall approach to music than genre specific.
  8. b_ryceeeee

b_ryceeeee

okay sorry to bring this back but i chose the motown route and ill go down the latin bass book route when im through. and i was wondering does anybody have any experience with ed friedlands r&b bass masters book? i still have standing in the shadows of motown in mind though.
  9. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Regarding the chord studies book by Appleman, I lost interest in it until I only studied the first 3 exercises. They are pure chord Tone related exercises and not solos like the rest. To me it sinks in better than learning the 16th note patterns. Great book! We play through chord changes, not scale changes...
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Try the library. They have books.
  11. Groove Master

Groove Master

12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

This book was recommended to me by a local country singer, believe it or not. Ginny couldn't stop talking about it. I expected it to be another dopey self-help book. I was wrong. Victor invents a series of unlikely spiritual teachers to move through ideas about how we learn to play. Some of it is preposterous, but you know, it still rings true. A liberating experience.