1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a new cab for my GB streamliner 600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cigi, Dec 4, 2012.

1. cigi

cigi

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a new cab for my GB streamliner 600. I had a Markbass traveler 121h, but didn't like the sound. I'm playing in a garage rock band and am looking for a bigger sound. Still a vintage tube tone, with a little edge. I'd like the cab to be quiet gentle on the back. My budget is about around 500 euro's, but i can stretch it a bit if necessairy. I was thinking about the next option's:

- GB Focus 210: logical option, the downside I can't test this cab. It is suited for my budget, but I'm not crazy about the sound in the ed friedland demo of the 410 focus. It sounds nice, but stil sounds bit to modern and not fat enough for my taste.

- Ampeg PF210: I like the sounds I hear from this cab, but haven't heard it with a streamliner. I don't know a store here that carries this model, so I can't test it. I know the GB is not to big on the high mids, and that may be a problem for the ampeg cabs?

- GK Neo 212: I've read on this forum that this would be a good combo with the streamliner, but I can't imagine that this will give me a vintage tone...

- Barefaced bass compat: this is above my budget, but the good things I've read about this cab make me want to stretcht the budget.

What do you guys think? Any other options are more then welcome. Remember that I live in Europe and some USA brands aren't accesible to me.

Timothy :bassist:
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would do a bit of reading at Barefaced bass. With out streatching you budget check out the Compact. 22 pounds, pretty sensitive, and will take everything your head has to give and will ask for more. For a bigger sound look at the Super 15, only 49 pounds and it will spank an 810.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Have you considered the Focus 15?
  5. cigi

cigi

Thank you for the reply. This looks very interesting. have you ever tried it with a streamliner?

To what kind of cab would you compare the classic series?
  6. cigi

cigi

No actually I haven't. I considered the sound I heard on the ed friedland video a bit to modern, so I figured the 15 would be in the same league. But maybe, I'm wrong?
  7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

classic series? I have tried one with my STM-900 and it had a nice old school round deep sound. Not woolly and undefined, but nice and deep.
  8. cigi

cigi

Thanks I will read further on the barefaced cabs. The super 15 seems a bit much and stretching the budget a bit to far. 750pounds is about 960euro's. Allmost double my budget.
  9. Budbear

Budbear

I run a Streamliner through a Barefaced Compact and the tone is big, fat, punchy and loud as hell. It gets a very Old-School tone very easily.
  10. cigi

cigi

Thank's! I saw your rig on the barefaced thread and was planning on PMing you. :)

I've read on the barefaced site:

Why shouldn't I get a Compact?

1. If you're in a very loud band, your amp isn't seriously powerful and you don't want to have to take a second cab (Midget/Compact/Super Twelve) to gigs.

2. If you like your speakers to add noticeable growly distortion to your sound.

3. If you want a really tiny cab - the Compact is light but it isn't tiny like the Midget

4. If you like the extended highs from tweeters.

5. If your amp and bass are relatively mellow sounding but you want a punchy aggressive sound - the Compact won't add punch to your sound, you need to put punch in to get punch out.

Is this true that it's hard to get punchy? I'd like to get some punch out of my sound. I thought it laked punch on some youtube video's, but that wil depend on the bass and amp probably. In this video it lacks punch to my taste, it sounds very round and warm, but no punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHUmUHlyvrE
  11. CL400Peavey

Check out the compact. Will be a kick ass set up.
  12. cigi

cigi

Thanks. The remark about the classic series was a reply to the first reply about the chillbass cabs.

Have you played the streamliner with a 210 focus? How dit that sound?
  13. CL400Peavey

The cab may just not have a huge bump in the low mids, you can add that with your amp.
  14. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Oh ok...nope never tried that setup as I want an old school tone and lots of low end. I guess I should have tried it.
  15. Budbear

Budbear

That video is not a good indicator of what a Compact can sound like. The cab is very clean across its frequency range and doesn't have the big bump in the mids that most commercial bass cabs have designed into them and your ears are used to hearing. Boost the low mids on the Streamliner a bit and you'll have plenty to punch through any mix. I run my EQ at 11 o'clock on the bass, 2-3 o'clock on the mids at 220hz or 600hz, and highs at around 10 o'clock. I play a lot of classic rock tunes and this combination gets me into that neighborhood. You need to rethink your EQ with the Barefaced cabs (as well as the other new design cabs that are now available). I am constantly complimented on my tone, unfortunately, not as much on my chops, by other players. I always take the credit, but it's really just applied physics.
  16. cigi

cigi

Thanks for the reply! I'm really starting to get interested in the compact. Do you use it as a single cab on gigs?

Do you have a video of this setup?
  17. Budbear

Budbear

Yes, I use it as a stand alone cab. We don't play extremely loud and the STL 600 & Compact is always loud enough to keep up with a Marshall half-stack. Two of them will get stupid loud. The cab has never struggled. I do want another, though. Because: 1) you should always have a spare, 2) There is always the chance that you'll have a big space to fill and no FOH to help, and 3) I'm a typical, crazy bass player.

No. No one has been impressed enough with me to record a video of my struggles.

The point is that this cab is so clean it gives you back what you put into it. There is little coloration. It sounds like your bass and amp, only louder. The Streamliner is known for its big low end. The Compact simply can handle it.
  18. chuck3

chuck3

what about the focus 210 along with the focus 15? Has anyone done that?
  19. rpsands

rpsands

If you're on a budget, try the GK MB410 cab. They've got a surprisingly old schoolish sound.
  20. cigi

cigi

Soxhats from TB has this combo. He likes it very much. He did send me some youtube movies using this setup, but to me they sound a bit to polite and I'm looking for a bit more edge. Maybe this is due to the settings of het streamliner.

I would very much like to buy a focus 210 (and maybe afterwards ad a 115), because it is well in my budget, I like matching head and cabs :))), and it would be pretty portable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmeVKvjUufI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ZTmH-mQ6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALN6Lw30l8