1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking for a new head and have narrowed the field.... Kind of.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Blair101, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Blair101

Blair101

I have searched high and low for my budget and I have narrowed down to a few, but I still can't decide. I'm currently using my old Trace Elliot AH200S and the power is just not there. Don't really want to lug an SVT around either. The band I've been writing with has two guitarist running 100w tube heads and even at low volume writing sessions the Trace is getting lost. So here is my short list and I'll be running one of these poor, unfortunate little guys through a GK NEO412. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    TC Electronic BH500
    MB500 Fusion
    MB500
    MB800
    Hartke LH1000
    ?????
    The most function, tone and power for $700
  2. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I paid $700 (new) for a Genz Benz ShuttleMax 9.2
  3. Blair101

Blair101

I'll have to check that out.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd go for the MB800
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I'd be looking for a used Mesa M9 Carbine. That'll show them guitards what's up.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been using an LH1000 for about 3-4 years now. Had to return it for one warranty repair, (Hartke covered everything).

More than enough power and I have it in a rack case.

Just replace the pre-amp tube every 6 months.
  7. Blair101

Blair101

8. Honkycat

Honkycat

I would go for used gear....GK and GB would both cut through the two guitar players.Also a used Eden Navigator has a distictive tone.For $700 you should be anle to get something really decent.
  9. Mehve

Mehve

Not that more power would hurt, but make sure you're not notching your EQ too much, which is one of the fastest way to get lost in the mix, no matter how much power you're packing.

Used is a fast way to knock up to 1/3 of the price of even a nearly new unit. Many companies even allow their warranties to transfer over under the right circumstances. Might be worth considering.
  10. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

GK1001RBII
    Trace Elliott 600 watter

Many others, I'm sure, but if you like your current tone, one of these might work for you.
  11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Mmmmm hmmm ;)
  12. Blair101

Blair101

Played through a BH500 last night, nice amp. The Spectra Comp an Tweeter Tone are some nice features, however I thought the Tube Tone was a little gimmicky. The Contour switch adds a nice Trace Elliot like pre-shape tone. Great amp for the price, but it is not quite what I'm looking for. P. S. I don't think any bass amp should have RCA jacks
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

You won't beat the LH1000 for price/power ratio, but it has very limited eq and it's heavy compared to some of the competition (if that matters to you). Email RMC Audio for an MB800 price-they have the best GK prices IME. I bet that head can be had for under 600, and it's a beast that fits in a gigbag pocket.
  14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If there is nothing wrong with the Trace Elliot pre amp line out socket. why not just get one of these cheap modern lightweight power amps like a peavy IPR to beef it up to imminent destruction levels of your GK 4x12.
    You can simply not connect anything to the speaker outputs of your Trace Elliot. It's open circuit protected.:hyper:
    You could even rack it and lighten it further by finding a SMPS power supply for The Trace pre amp. And unbolt the power amp and original heavy transformer and sell them for spares.:cool:
    Shame the GK Cab is only 4ohms as you could have done just as well or better by just getting another 4 x 12 but you can't cos you are already at minimum ohms for the Trace Elliot amp.:bawl:
  15. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

I run a mb fusion through a gk neo412. I absolutely love it!!!

I play modern rock with a epi pro tbird, sterling ray 34, and spector euro4. I sometimes run an mxr di+ in front of it, but love going straight in as well. Plays well with effects.

The foot switchable boost feature, when dialed in right, is very tasty.
  16. Blair101

Blair101

I've thought about doing that as well.
  17. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Your personal list is stacked with GK.
    That's what you want. MB800 is an animal!
  18. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

MB Fusion gets my vote.
  19. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Even without a super powerful head you should be able to get a lot out of the 4x12 cab. Try cutting low lows (40-80Hz) and boosting low mids (100-250Hz), a dash of boost around 500-600Hz.... then raise your Master a little. Take off any features on the amp that scoop your sound. If your pre can overdrive, use a little. This is a good way to get more present when dealing with guitarists.
  20. Blair101

Blair101

I have decided to go with the MB800 and if I can ever find the eBay deal in the future, I'll add the Shuttlemax 9.2. And the Trace will go back to my house for some much needed rest on a 1x15 cab for practice. Thanks so much for all the input, I would have never discovered the Shuttlemax without you guys.