Looking for a new preamp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VeganThump, Dec 4, 2012.

1. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

I currently run a Sansamp RBI with a QSC RMX850 through an Ampeg 810e. Im starting to get bored with my RBI though, any suggestions for a new pre? I want something a little more versatile, I play mostly rock but also dabble in other genres. I play a pbass 5er strung with flats and a SBMM ray 35, so im looking for something that can cop the jamerson thump and also get a little gritty when I need it to, ok shoot!
  2. dincz

dincz

Something with a multi-band (at least 2) parametric EQ would expand your tone options.
  3. VeganThump

Agreed, im looking for actual brand suggestions though, one pre I've been thinking about is the SVP-Cl.
  4. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

I highly recommend the Peavey Max bass preamp, extremely versatile and sounds great. I was able to do a trade for one at GC. Not sure what kind of tube is in it but so far no issues. I run it through different 2x10 cabs (SWR, Peavey, BagEnd) with a Carvin power amp and it sounds great through all of them. The basses I'm putting through it are a standard jazz, Fender P deluxe and EBMM Sterling. All sound great.
    These are getting hard to find though, but with Peaveys reputation for their stuff holding up for years and the sound quality it's hard to beat.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally I run a Aguilar Tone Hammer into an ART Pro Channel II. I run the Agi off of the phantom power of the ART, and set the level so I dont have a huge volume boost. This way I get all the grit and grind I want from the Aguilar, and the ultra clean of the ART. AND I get crazy EQ power.
  7. VeganThump

Hmmm peavey huh? Don't know much about their amps, I did have a mark IV head when I was a teenager but I really had no idea what I was doing back then and I sold it. Ill look into that pre though, thanks!
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just purchased a Verellen Meatsmoke and that is a monster of a pedal that I can't wait to get I am preamp fiend. I have and love the following:

1. Sadowsky Outboard Preamp - This thing is incredible has a beautiful warm tone makes all of my basses sound great has a D/I and tuner out just love this pedal.
    2. Aguilar Tone Hammer - this pedal has that grungy goodness I love this dog has bite! It also has a D/I.
    3. Tronographic Rusty Box - this is one of my always on pedals everything you run thru it sounds good it's what I call a great foundation pedal for you to build your sound on.
    4. F Bass Big F Boost - this is a boost only preamp I really love it's an 18v pedal that has plenty of warm overhead goodness not a common pedal but well worth it.
    5. Fodera Preamp - what can I say it brings Mike Pope magic to a pedal it's another 18v tone hammer.
    6. Tube Works Blue Tube Enhancer - this is a vintage pedal you can find on eBay this pedal is the warmest pedal I've ever heard I put a vintage Amperex Bugle Boy tube in it and it does everything from warm enhancement to almost tube breakup just love it.
    7. Fuzzrocious BDPG - I can't really explain this pedal what it does to my tone is just magic and I think everyone who has one will agree it is another pedal that is always on I mean always it's the first pedal I turn on and it is a great buffer.
  9. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and you want versatility, the Peavey MAX is hard to beat for the $200 or so they go for. A tube channel with passive EQ and active low-mid and treble boost switches, a SS channel with graphic EQ and high and low shelving controls, the ability to switch or blend channels via a foot-switch, crossover for bi-amping, switchable effects loop, DI and legendary reliability. And it all sounds much better than you would think when you hear the word Peavey. You'll want to replace the stock Chinese 12AX7 with something better, and if you're good with a soldering iron, some op-amp swaps make a considerable difference as well. Unbeatable for the price, but if you have a bigger budget, there are certainly a ton of other options out there. I'm just speaking from a poor guy's point of view. ;)
  10. VeganThump

Wow thanks, that's a lot of stuff to check out! My question though is, are these pedals going to be able to drive a power amp? Im looking to get rid of my RBI completely and just use a new pre with my QSC.
  11. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Eden Navigator.
  12. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

You will have to check each pedal output to see if it produces this amount of voltage.
    A pedal is traditionally used in the instrument input circuit.
    At the amplifier this is a low voltage, high impedance input.

The RMX-850 requires 1.15 volts input to drive it to full power.
    The unbalanced input impedance for this amp is 10 K-ohm.
    The typical input impedance on an instrument amplifier is around 1 M-ohm, which is far higher.

The pedal you choose should be spec'ed to be workable with a low impedance input such as the QSC, and produce a minimum of 1.15 volts output.
  13. darius8

darius8

Pre-amps? Did you say "pre-amps"? Well then, I'll say "Basstasters".

http://basstasters.com/preamps/

It hasn't been updated for a while but still useful.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

You mean the Eden WTDI pedal or the Navigator preamp?

(Both are very effective)
  15. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I mean the Navigator - the WP-100.

It is far more versatile than the WTDI.
  16. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    May not be for you, but i use an old SWR Grand Prix for rock, funk, and other stuff.
    Pretty easy to find, not too expensive, good eq, pretty versatile.
    It's not a Kern or anything, but it's solid and reliable.

wraub
  17. VeganThump

Im definitely looking to go with a rack pre, doing research now on the SVP-CL and the Eden Navigator, both seem to be highly praised, though the general consensus on the SVP-CL is that it wont get much OD, can anyone speak for the Eden as far as OD goes?
  18. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Ashdown RPM-1. A stellar discontinued preamp that I bought twice....and looking for one again. Kinda rare.
  19. VeganThump

I've never heard anything from Ashdown, what's their story?
  20. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

The Eden tube circuit won't give much in terms of overdrive; it's a very subtle "tube warmth". I love it, but it won't provide all-out distortion.

From the manual:
  21. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Ashdown was formed from designers at Trace Elliot when TE was bought out in the 90's. Popular in the UK and Europe, not as much in the USA. If you like the Trace sound Ashdown will get you there but with a few other enhancements. I have mostly Ampeg gear now but would be just as happy with an Ashdown rig. There's a few Ashdown users here on TB to search for additional info.